Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently bought a `94 LPT CSE Auto and it is drinking petrol at around 26mpg (28 on a motorway run). The car runs very well having done only 67K miles, but should it be doing more mpg than this ??

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
The factory figures for the turbo compared to the light pressure turbo show the lpt to be marginally less economical than the turbo.

A lot will depend on your driving style, aswell.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
On the other hand, does the display announce that you are reading 'Imp mpg'? If not then look in the handbook for you will be currently showing mpg in US gallons not Imperial. Switch it over and you will have a slightly less strained smile on your face.

Nick.

PS. Welcome to Saabscene.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I get 26-28 mpg true (calculated from petrol put in and mileage indicated) from my '97 2.0 lpt auto. This is for my general 8 miles each way to work and back plus a few shorter and a few longer runs each week. On motorway runs it can get better - well over 30 when I keep my foot light [some hope].

The computer is always 2 to 3 mpg optimistic : i.e. it reports 28-31. (It IS set to REAL gallons).

Back in November I had a problem with the cooling thermostat sticking open so that the engine warmed up very slowly and never got much past the blue bit - during that time I was lucky to get 25mpg.

Mike

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The factory figures for the turbo compared to the light pressure turbo show the lpt to be marginally less economical than the turbo.[/b]
Havnt got the figures with me but pretty sure the urban figures for the LPT auto versus FPT auto shows the FPT to be worse.

I normally drive the FPT auto and get 26mpg, when I got the wifes FPT manual I got 24mpg
this has since increased to 28mpg. This is over a 20 mile there and back commute each day with 14 miles on the motorway. Somehow the wife always gets higher figures for either car

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian:
[qb] QUOTE
The factory figures for the turbo compared to the light pressure turbo show the lpt to be marginally less economical than the turbo.[/b]
Havnt got the figures with me but pretty sure the urban figures for the LPT auto versus FPT auto shows the FPT to be worse.
[/qb][/b][/quote]I was referring to manuals. This info is what I recall from the classic 900 brochure for 1991. Of course, being 9000s it could be different

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, SaabCSE.

Is it a 2.0 or a 2.3?
I have both a 2.0LPT manual and a 2.0LPT auto. While the manual does rather better for MPG around town (high 20s compared to low 20s for the auto), they both achieve around 35mpg on a long motorway run at 70mph (without too much traffic to disrupt the journey).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts