Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
can any off you shed some light on this for me.
am i correct that the power output of my 91 9000 2.3 carlsson is 225bhp? and the earlier ones that were a 2.0 are 200bhp?
also mine seems to be rather heavy on fuel,my 6cyl 24v bmw is more ecanomical,what mpg can you expect to get from these motors?

thanks

dave

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
2.3 carly's were 220bhp
2.0 carly's were 185(175 cat'd 900)-204bhp depending on model, yaer and cat's or not.

Andrew

·
Registered
247 Posts
The BMW 6 has always been good on fuel. So too, however, should your Saab. On a long run at a moderate speed you should get more than 30 mpg (I've managed low 40s before) and mid to low 20s around town.

Alanb

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Warning: Anorak mode engaged!

A few years back I managed 35+ mpg from a 2.0 Carlsson, the 2.3 should be capable of similar if driven with a VERY light touch.

Mode off.

Check the drivers handbook and ensure the average mpg (On the trip computer) is set for imperial gallons not US gals. If you're calculating it yourself with 'brim to brim' measurements forget all that.

HTH

Nick.

·
Registered
77 Posts
according to abbottracing and other sites I've visited the '91 2.3 9k has 200bmp and the carlsson is 225bmp. I get about 27mpg combined from my car with a computer reading of about 32 on a run at 70, I've got as low as 23 mpg from umm 'test runs'

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The best mpg I've ever managed with my 1992 2.3FPT on a long motorway run (setting cruise at 70mph) is 35mpg. The overall average on mine is currently iro 29mpg combined, it should improve now I've stopped using it for short journeys that I can easily walk or cycle.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I too have hit 40mpg driving steadily on a motorway, but that is with an Aero, which has taller gears. But, mpg is pants around town. Still much better than the 535 BMW I had for a while a few years ago, mind & a lot faster!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I got an average of 27mpg in my 2.3 Carly. Mine was always driven enthusiastically - don't think I ever saw over 30mpg!

Think the 2.3 Carlsson was 220BHP, the Aero was 225BHP (was the 2.0 Carlsson 204BHP - there may even have been two tunes of the 2.0 Carlsson - though then again, I may be getting mixed up with something else
)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rough rule of thumb is:-

1/2 a pint of fuel per bhp produced per hour.

Run it flat out for an hour and you ought to have a reasonable idea

·
Registered
390 Posts
HI

My modded 93 SE Turbo ranges from say 18 mpg to 38-40 depending on how much
you use if i drive at say 70mph can get good 38mpg up that to say 90 (abraod of course) goes doen to about 29mpg. Girl Friend drives it about 10 mpg (girl racer !!!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
All this mpg talk leaves me to think I may have a problem with my car...

96 9k aero manual, 100k miles. Just drove 2000 miles in France. Typically, it was motorway mileage, cruise control set on 85, in 5th gear obviously.

when I left UK, the computer indicated 26.2 mpg. This steadily increased over the 3 weeks I spent there, up to 28.4 mpg. This has now slightly dipped since I'm again doing short trips in UK. (note: A/C on all the time, but normally it was not that warm, 25-28 C)

Now I see some of you are getting 35 or 40 mpg out of the same car? Is this quite right, or is there a problem with my car?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts