Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been lots of threads about fuel and MPG so I decided to do a little experiment.

I filled up with bog standard ULS unleaded at the Tesco in Cheltenham and then drove to work. The route to work and back is 120 miles and involves about 5 miles of normal road and the rest is M5 and M42.

Driving carefully.. keeping the revs always in the green (the 2 litre ECO does 70mph in 5th at 2K rpm) and not going above 75 mph I managed 40mpg over the two days (240 miles).

Now the official figures for the 2 litre ECO do not show figures as good as this.. so are the official figures based on a higher octane fuel or what?

Steve

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Stephen,
High octane fuel will give you even better mpg!
I have recorded figues of 38mpg cruising A roads (fully loaded) running between 50 & 60 mph. Others have reported 40mpg on a recent thread on in the past 2 months.

The colour of your spark plugs will indicate if the fuel mixture is running a little lean though:
- Grey/brown = normal
- brown/white = too lean
- Dry, black sooty deposits = too rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.