Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor tuning for 1500€?

Any good ideas for spend 1500€ for tuning saab motor&etc? My saab is 9000 Turbo (-86). Should I need better grip or what? There aren't just enough puff to stay with "sport-cars"..

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Re: Motor tuning for 1500€?

Ahh Speedparts is your answer..

A modified APC,
JR Sport filter
Fuel Chip
And 3'' Sport exhaust will give you another 58HP and 96NM Torque..

It costs 608 euro excluding taxes.

Stage 2 Speedparts - Article Number PU310-2.
http://www.speedparts.se - Menu - UPPGRADERING.

Gives you some cash left over for the brakes or suspension

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Which is very much recommended by the way -especially as your 9000 has been around for 17 years, and springs, rubber bushings, maybe even shocks might be as old as the car itself...

Personally, I'd do suspension first, power next.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Personally, I'd do suspension first, power next.[/b]
Thats what I'm doing and I can throughly recommend it. I've replaced both front and rear anti-roll bar bushes, front wishbones, rear droplinks all in polyurethane rather than rubber and it's reduced torque steer and improved steering response dramatically. Lowering springs and shocks will be added when funds allow.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Don't forget the High Performance BOV! The Bosch unit for the Porsche 930 Turbo is a drop-in replacement at about $60 US. Abbott and Forge each have one around $140 US. You will definitly feel it!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts

Originally posted by Griffin #341:
[qb]You will definitly feel it![/qb][/b]
The only time I ever felt a difference when fitting the Forge or Bailey valves was when replacing a broken valve. Other than that, subjectively, I've found a brand new standard valve to perform just as well.

The more expensive valves should last longer, though.

Then again, I have only used recirculating valves and perhaps the noise from an atmospheric dump valve would make the car feel faster. I doubt it, though.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Then again, I have only used recirculating valves and perhaps the noise from an atmospheric dump valve would make the car feel faster. I doubt it, though.[/b]
Depends which way you point the bov, Turbo or retro

Andrew

·
Registered
312 Posts

OK,OK, maybe it IS subjective but when I put the HP Bosch in from the 930, I did check the stock one and the diaphram was fine. I guess its just a seat-of-the-pants feeling but it just feels much more positive and for a recirc it can definitely be heard! Just gives me

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well the dump valve might be good.. yesterday i raced vs corvette (about 80-130km/h) and i beated it.. i just put 4th gear and pushed pedal to metal.. Better grip and lot of more power is still needed.. I'm still looking for chance to beat the Supra.. Ideas? I meaby get some extra money, about 3500€ so lets keep going

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Not everything needs to be done at once.

First, you have to determine the condition of major components (drivetrain/chassis) as is. When engine/turbo/gearbox etc. are in good fettle and the whole thing has been returned to tip top condition as far as consumables (oil, coolant, filters, brake fluid, etc) and adjustments go, you can start with upgrading the chassis and a basic ECU/airfliter/exhaust type of upgrade from Speedparts or comparable. The next steps can and will follow naturally in the shape of turbo upgrade, bigger/better brakes, et cetera.

If you feel that due to mileage and/or a chequered service history the engine and/or turbo are not up to snuff, it might be a wise thing to go straight to your 3,500 euro scenario and plan a rebuild that will allow for major upgrades at a later date, and do all the 'while you're in there things (clutch, check/repair gearbox, check/repair/replace steering rack, engine and suspension mounts etc.) when the engine's out.

My full race B202 short engine build by Sweedspeed cost about 2,600 euro (excluding mating it together with the head, put timing gear back on, resealing the unit, etc - you can decide whether to do that yourself or 'with a litle help from your friends'- rebuilding/ upgrading the turbo to a full race hybrid cost 540 euro, the racing clutch disk 240 IIRC. Of course there's a lot of little things that add to the cost, but would be stupid not to do at the same time- you can chalk those up as 'preventive maintenance'...

It all depends on a proper assessment of the car's current condition IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts