Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just failed my MOT
O/S head light pattern and aim high =adjustment?
N/S Hand Brake Low (just fitted new pads discs)=adjustment?(Thought it might need this!)
O/s & N/S Anti roll bar bushes and connector bracket bushes worn. (Rear).
I think time for poly bushes. 2 sizes available 18 and 19mm. I have CS carlsson...which is it? Also what are connector bracket bushes???!!!

Emissions good I think-
Fast idle:
CO: 0.22%vol (pass= less than/equal 0.30%vol)
HC: 20ppm vol (pass= less than/equal 200ppm)
lambda 0.997 (pass range is 0.970-1.030)

Natural Idle test
CO: 0.06%vol (pass=less than/equal 0.50%vol)

Can some one in the know give me feedback on these? CO at fast idle possibly on high side? Causes?Worry?
Once again thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Unusual for the beam pattern to be out unless the h/lamp reflectors lost its 'shine' which i think is not a common problem on the 9000,the adjustment should be easy enuff tho', then take it from there. I tightend the h/brake on mine by taking the 12/13mm bolt out the back of the caliper and using the allen key adjuster.seemed to work ok.
The Hatch/CS models should use the larger dia 'D' shaped bushes on the a.r.b (unless me stocks wrong
) & think the brkt they talk about is the one which connects these to the body in a vertical axis (that sounds a bit posh ),it does have a joint 1/2 way up but is all one unit part #4193132 lh/4193140 rh (if its these parts),but again not one we get asked for a lot?
as for Co & emissions,they are are black art to me,sorry
G.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The headlight having a poor pattern can be caused by moisture on the inside of the lens or the need to re-sliver. It can also sometimes be cured by simply replacing the bulb. You can also get it to clear itself if it's moisture simply by running with the dipped beems on for about half an hour before going to the test centre.

You don't say what year your Carlsson is but IIRC it will be a 19mm ARB.

The emissions look OK that said mine MOT'd last month with 0% CO and 2ppm vol HC (1994 Trionic). If yours is pre Trionic then the figures are definitely OK.

(PS I'm feeling extra smug coz the old C900 got through the MOT today without a murmer ).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
On my CS Aero, the poor beam pattern that I get each year is due to weak springs holding the bulb in, so the bulb droops out of it's optimal position and also runs dimmer due to the higher resistance an the now twisted base.

I ordered new springs 2 months ago and I'm still waiting.

Andrew

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I had a loose bulb spring on my Rover. The spring is needed to press the bulb into place and provides the return earth path for the electric current. The loose spring caused everything to heat up and the metal bulb carrier, with the shield inside the lamp unit, distorted and caused the bulb to droop, even after I replaced the spring. I was surprised that the metal bent but the plastic lamp unit was OK. I still had to buy a whole new lamp to get the replacement metal bit.

In the end on the Rover I just changed the metal holder (3 self tapping screws) because the headlamp change is a bumper, undertray and wheel arch liner off job

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by paulmanchester:
[qb]2 sizes available 18 and 19mm. I have CS carlsson...which is it?[/qb][/b]
The best way to tell is to try to slide an 18mm spanner over the bar. If it's 18mm, you'll be able to do it, even if you need to give it a shove due to rust/paint. If it's 19mm, there's no way you'll be able to get an 18mm spanner on it, unless the spanner is total cr4p and you're pushing very hard.

Although within limits, the CO seems a bit high. Once you've passed the MOT, try running some injector cleaner through (I use STP stuff - expensive, but seems to be effective). It lowered my CO reading almost to nothing.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Mine has the same problem with the spring retainers. All I do very once in a while is bend them to a more acute angle, and that sorts it until the next time...  [/b]
Mark,

I've been bending mine for 7 years now. they do not retain any of their original shape.

That's why I've forked out the £3:00 for a new pair (if they ever arrive, they were on order for 5 weeks before the garage put them on VOR. That was 4 weeks ago)

The MB are a different shape and don't seem to suffer the same problem.

Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts