Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a South African chap, by the name of Harry, buying an amp off me through E-Bay. He lives somewhere in London.

He has a 9000 P reg red Anniversary model with what could be the most powerful engine in the UK if he is not telling porkies! Claims it has 490 bhp! Different injectors, turbo, lots of other stuff, including a 9-5 gearbox and LSD and a full set of 4 pot Brembo's. Seemed to know what he was talking about. He also has a new M3 & a 740!!

Anyone come accross him?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jez,
I hoped you pointed him the direction of Saabscene.....I guess if he's not telling porkies he or the previous owner has spent some money with Maptun....???

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nop, done it all himself as a project, so I believe. For example, he took injectors from a v6 Omega.

(I can't spell!)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pretty impressive if he did everything himself. The stock pistons or rods will not handle that kind of horsepower - and what about the crank? I wonder where he learned how to remap the Trionic - I thought the knowledge base for tuning the T5 was pretty much limited to Sweden and parts of Switzerland?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is off the road at present. I did not ask him about cranks or ECU, but will when he comes down to pick up my amp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]The stock pistons or rods will not handle that kind of horsepower - and what about the crank?[/qb][/b]
Oh yes they can! Fredrik from maptun still runs with stock pistons, rods and crank... The red 2.3T CDE from Maptun have run over 136k without even changing bearings and have around 500bhp

·
Registered
778 Posts
Friberg, is that true? I must be confusing Fredriks' car with Per Eklunds - surely that thing had different pistons and crank. If what you say is true about Fredriks', then the bottom end of the B234 is stronger than I thought - very impressive and reminds me of a quote from Dr. Boost when he said all B234's were over-designed - this certainly corroborates that.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]Friberg, is that true?  I must be confusing Fredriks' car with Per Eklunds - surely that thing had different pistons and crank.[/qb][/b]
I've heard several times before that the B23's can handle 400bhp and be quite stable, the engine's a rock as long you don't run it too lean.

·
Registered
76 Posts
>>Robert

Per Eklunds engine is running at higher rpm's and higher boost than Fredriks and I think that it still uses the standard crank

If we're talking about the 9-5 they have to get better pistons since the top piston ring is very near the top of the piston and that doesn't leave enough material to cope with high boost.

Richard with the famous 9-5 Viggen is currently planning to use a B234 instead of the B235 to be able to get more hp's since the B234 is stronger...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the B234 engine is the daddy imho....
however what about the 9-5 gearbox ...Is this possible ?
Is it stronger ?
(my aero box needs another rebuild )

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]the B234 engine is the daddy imho....
however what about the 9-5 gearbox ...Is this possible ?
Is it stronger ?
(my aero box needs another rebuild       ) [/qb][/b]
I don't know yet - Richard is asking those questions on STCS's BB right now I DO know that Saab changed to the GM bolt pattern from -94 and that pattern has been used since early 80's so there is a chance that it fits.

I don't know if it's stronger, Richard has blown two boxes so far...
(330hp, 490Nm)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, I now have more information, having met the bloke!!

He is an ex BMW Motorsport engineer & used to build race engines for BMW South Africa. He is also in IT and has his own company.

The gearbox is not from a 9-5, but from a Opel Vectra 3L, as are the 4 pot calipers all round. They produce this car in South Africa, not sure about other countries, but certainly not in the UK.

The engine has all manner of mods. The turbo has been moved over to the right of the engine as it is too big to sit at the front. It has forged pistons and a lot of engine work, a different manifold, but a standard exhaust!! He has done things with the fuel presure regulator and pump (don't ask me what this does, though he did explain!).

He re-mapped the Trionic system, as he has done for his new M3.

The car runs on F-Gas (105 octane) as he has a mate that works at an airport. He is running on 3.2 bar.

Apparently, the car has a fair bit of torque steer (oh, I am so surprised!!) and a huge amount of lag on account of the monster turbo.

I can't imagine quite what 490bhp must feel like in a 9000...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well I set my sights on 350hp running 1.6 bar on my highly modded nearly 2.4 motor, just have to turn the boost up and set my sights a bit higher..... 680hp anyone???

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To confirm, he personally re-mapped the ECU on both the Aero and his M3 which is now running at 493bhp, so he says.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've had the crank knife edged and polished and balanced, the rods polished, peened and x-rayed, forged cosworth pistons fitted with the bore taken out to 90.8mm (If my memory is correct!), mig wired block, gas flowed head, matched inlet manifold, lightened flywheel and a hybrid Variable Vane turbo. Cams are standard at present but will be getting some Red Series one to fit.
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item212.htm
With some bigger injectors, 1.6bar boost, larger intercooler with water spray cooling and an Aquamist with a water/methanol mix I think 350hp should be within my easy reach.
The cossie pistons are strong enough to run well over 2 bar pressure but will suck it and see when I get to that point.
My car at the moment with standard engine apart from abbott head, dump valve, MBC valve and 3" JT exhaust , no cat, boosts to 1.6 then tapers down to a steady 1.2 and really motors to 140+ speeds.
I'd be interested to get it on a dyno to see whether my guesstimate hp is close to reality.
Need a spin in Bills car to give myself a reality check
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mark...view=t&.hires=t

1 - 20 of 39 Posts