Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the positive vibes on the 9000 strut brace I notice a nice looking brace on the abbott site http://www.abbottracing.com (products,9000, chassis)

Its stainless and might make up for the quality questions on the Speedparts item- anyone bought one of these yet?
Its 195 (plus vat I think) - not sure if its worth double speedparts though.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If anyone has a pattern for a brace that fits CS models I would be able to get a S/S prototype made and installed on my car. Further copies might be possible at much lower cost than resellers.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Surely you already have THE most accurate pattern. It's called the strut top mountings under your bonnet

No-body can accuse you of copying their design if you make one of you own design. All the famous strut brace is, is a mounting ring at each end which picks up on the 3 small mounting bolts and a tube between them. The only part with any skill at all is the connection between ring and tube, this is often made with a horizontal cross-bolt to allow the mounting rings to pivot on installation.

If you can fabricate stainless, surely you can make one to fit?

·
Registered
181 Posts
A group of us (mac-xpert, Dulux and I) are also considering the self build route - as Mac-Xpert has access to stainless fabrication facilities.

If someone could tell us the exact distance between the strut tops when the brace is fitted it would avoid any errors from sagging bodyshells etc - or are they not built to such exact standards?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts