Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just uploaded the photo's I took today.

Click Here

You can see the reduction in pipe length and sharp bends with the chargecooler installation, much less lag, almost zero pressure drop and very efficent.

Brakes show evidence of the hammering they tend to get, notice the nice blue hue to the disc

Also the el'cheapo HT leads. I was having some trouble with a misfire after getting it back out of storage and I've not swapped them back yet.

Any questions fire away.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi

Nice setup. Who's chargecooler is this? Ive only ever seen an Abbott one, as fitted to my car. Where's the water reservoir for it? This is on a T16S right?

Sweet brakes, im stil toying with the idea of upgrading mine, but dont want to loose my aero's so am thinking of going 9000Aero calipers, brembo discs, mintex pads and goodrich hoses, comments?

Whats your beast puting out?

I took my ex LPT Aero car to Saab Centrals rolling road meet at Power Engineering Uxbridge and got 207 BHp/ 232 ftlbs

Recent speedparts boost gauge shows 1 Bar boost. I suspect your car is tuned beyond this? Going to TD04?

·
Registered
161 Posts
That'll teach me!

Just read your previous introductory post, including pics and specs!

So i can answer my own questions. Jee thats some motor, sweet, i cant imagine how much faster it could be, i bet it puts the blusher on the owners of some better known more expensive cars faces!

Damn nice

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ah, Iknew there was a vague familiarity to your car. I think it was you that put me on to using Avo shocks as a cheap but good adjustable unit. I hope you still swear by them as I'm resting my feet on a set as I type

Don't you get springs wound to your own specs too?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chargecooler is produced by me and is based around a strengthened Lotus/Behr core. No doubt you will have spotted the rad fan has been relocated as well, this is now a Pacet fan mounted on the front of the rad. The water resorvoir is mounted on the inner wing along with the pump, if you look at the filter.jpg pic you will see them.

Turbo is a Turbo Technics built Trim 60 T3 with 360 degree bearing and some mild porting to compressor and turbine housings. Its sufficent for the 1.6bar the car runs.

The 9000 caliper upgrade makes a decent difference due to the larger pad area. Do you track your car? As you may still have trouble with fade even with the larger pads. For road and light track use I'd say it was an excellent setup, although I'd be tempted to use the Mintex 1166 pad rather than the 1144 for track use.

As for putting the blusher on some owners of more expensive kit shall we just say it holds its own .

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb]Ah, Iknew there was a vague familiarity to your car. I think it was you that put me on to using Avo shocks as a cheap but good adjustable unit. I hope you still swear by them as I'm resting my feet on a set as I type    

Don't you get springs wound to your own specs too? [/qb][/b]
Swear by them, use them on my car and use them on the race cars where the rules only allow the use of an adjustable 'standard fitment' unit. Also use Avo's coilover units on several cars as well.

If you let me know the lb'age of spring you'd like I can do you a quote. Drop me a mail.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cheers for the reply Matt!

I dont track my car, that is i havent but am attending the TD04. I wont be getting much into that even if i want too, due to financial/ time constraints: too many hobbies!

So perhaps ill look a little more into the caliper upgrade. Does it need to be a 9000 Aero one, or are all 9000 turbo calipers much the same. And is the brake hose upgrade beneficial.

Thanks for the reply
Cheers
Ross

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need to get some new hoses made up as I think the 9K calipers don't have a braket on them. Braided hoses will improve the pedal feel slightly, their also better in terms of durability as they take longer to rub through if they come adrift than normal rubber lines do.

IIRC its the 94+ 9000 (not just the aero) which has the larger calipers, I think previous years were the same as the later 900's but I may be wrong on this as I'm not a 9000 man. I've got some 94 9K calipers in the workshop so I'll have a look for you tomorrow and make sure their right.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
963 Posts
Oh I'm not after springs. Well, at least not this year I have a set of Boge sports from Elkparts which I'll use for the forseeable future. I wouldn't have a clue where to start with speccing my own. It was just something my memory dragged up I think it's the first time I've seen pics of your car rather than just the engine bay. The orangeness clinched it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb]The orangeness clinched it! [/qb][/b]
Its actualy red just my rather ***** digital camera pics out reds as oranges . The Boge springs arn't bad at all for an off the shelf wind you can do much worse. IIRC their similar in spec to the Chassis Dynamics springs.

Matt

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello Matt,

Long time no speak....
At last the 'top secret' photo's are out,
One thing that surprises me is that you are still running the stock 'orrible 90 degree cast exhaust elbow and managing 307bhp - must be a heck of alot of backpressure sitting around at 1.6 bar
Out of interest where is your Aquamist plumbed into??

Pete.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
[qb]Hello Matt,

Long time no speak....
At last the 'top secret' photo's are out,
[/qb][/b]
Hello Pete, you'll laugh but the reason I couldn't really do any before was because of the fastners on the boost pipes. As you can see they've been changed now but to say I would have got in a touch of bother if they'd have been pics of them in the public domain is an understatement.

[qb]Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
One thing that surprises me is that you are still running the stock 'orrible 90 degree cast exhaust elbow and managing 307bhp - must be a heck of alot of backpressure sitting around at 1.6 bar  
[/qb][/b]
EGT is very high, its not quite a standard cast elbow I've played with it a little but it still gets a decent glow on after a few mins of full boost. I'll be looking at this shortly when I've got a bit of time to spend on the car.

[qb]Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
Out of interest where is your Aquamist plumbed into??
Pete. [/qb][/b]
If you look at one of the pics with the chargecooler in it the black bit of tin between the red and blue hose is where its normaly plumbed in. However the pumps died after being left 6 months (still with a bit of mousture in it no doubt) hence why theres a bit of old exhaust tube in there as the kits gone back to 'tweeks (got to be worth trying for a replacement )

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
661 Posts
Matt,

Hello Pete, you'll laugh but the reason I couldn't really do any before was because of the fastners on the boost pipes. As you can see they've been changed now but to say I would have got in a touch of bother if they'd have been pics of them in the public domain is an understatement  [/b]
I thought that Mikalor hose clamps were already available to the general public??

Pete.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No they weren't Mikalor, they weren't a conventional clamp for a start.

I'm not being funny but do we really have to go through all this again? First it was my brakes didn't exist, well they do. Then the chargecooler, well it does (several of them do). I'm sure anyone reading isn't going to be too interested in bickering, its hardly entertaining. Everyones here to chat about their cars on "the freindliest Saab Community on the internet" unless I'm very much mistaken so lets just do that.

Matt

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm not being funny but do we really have to go through all this again? First it was my brakes didn't exist, well they do. Then the chargecooler, well it does (several of them do). I'm sure anyone reading isn't going to be too interested in bickering, its hardly entertaining. Everyones here to chat about their cars on "the freindliest Saab Community on the internet" unless I'm very much mistaken so lets just do that.
 [/b]
Matt,

Ive never doubted the fact that you own a tweaked C900 but you do have to agree its taken 2 years for you to post pics resembling anything like the car you described as such all that time ago - hence the sceptiscism,
I for one will be most interested to
a: see the car at any group meet so we can have a good look at your handywork (you have previously failed to show at numerous promised occasions) and:-
b: see the dyno plots youve promised

Pete.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deal. Not to get into an argument but I believe that was one occasion when I was out of the country? Dyno plots to follow shortly.

Matt

P.S. Only two years? Thats pretty quick for me

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Interestingly enough, I played around with this site trying to get a good estimate of the sort of power you should expect from those mods.

I tried to be as accurate as possible. I estimated the car's original Volumetric Efficiency using the stock power and boost as a template. It's not perfect, but I figured for the sake of pure estimation it oughtta be ok.

Suprisingly I got that it should have 308 hp, and 315 lb ft! Which is only one hp and one lb-ft off the actual results.

I'm sure most of that was just luck as I don't have measured values for the VE of the C900. But I think it's reasonable to assume that the car is bang smack in that zone.

Also if boost reaches 1.6 bar at about 4,000 rpm and and stays at that level to 307hp it would be in the T3's 70% efficiency zone all the way through its power band. In fact it seems that his figures fit about perfect. That's especially astonishing given the number of miss-matched cars I've seen out there, with hp and boost curves well outside where they should be.

Well done.
First time in ages I've seen a car with proper boost and hp.

Cheers,
Dubbya

p.s. The right angle bend in the exhaust would be best removed, but one of the nice things about water injection is that typically even the most basic system, when tuned properly, lowers the ETG by about 100 degrees C, which lets you get away with less than perfect exhaust parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Adrian,

Good site that. Cheers for the link.

I'll get round to sorting that bend at some point. Probably knock something together on the pipe bender. Full boost (1.6bar) is reached at 3,927rpm in third according to the data logger so your bang on with that one. Nice to see that it all agrees with my math, especialy as it took two attempts to get my GCSE maths

Putting my guestimated values in got 1bhp and 1 ft/lb the other side (306 and 313) so I think its fair to assume that the rolling road was reasonably accurate (which I'd expect as its Wilcox's and Triumph use it to run their bikes up on )

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've always found that site very usefull as well.

Oddly enough Saabs tend to have VERY high VE's. This is probably not actually that they pull it more air, but rather that they have high compression, which is not taken into account on there, so they do more on the air that they do take in.

That site's answers should be taken with a grain of salt however, as they of course are not detailed enough to be perfectly accurate, and as any tool, can be miss-used.

Better off as a "good estimate". I've played around with it lots though, and using stock figures, and some of my own dyno results I've been able to get a good estimate on Saab VE's. It seems to be reasonably accurate. Once you get a "template" from some dyno results, you can accurately predict the result of future upgrades.

Cheers,
Dubbya

1 - 20 of 20 Posts