Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93' K 2.0 LPT and want something like 200hp, the cars kicks out something 150hp just now.
I like Aero type performance, but at what cost!, any help will be greatfull.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
There will be people here with better experience than me, but the two things that spring to mind are intercooler and charge cooler

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will need a charge cooling solution. That standard T16 FPT intercooler will be just about sufficent for this level, use the later mandrel bent boost pipes rather than the cast items as they flow a touch better.

Retrofitting the APC from an FPT car would be the best way to go about it as you will have the benefit of knock protection. However if you do not want to go to the effort or sourcing, removing and refitting it the best solution would be to fit the T16 intercooler, source some type of MBC and book some time on the rolling road. On 97ron+ fuel you should be able to tune to around 12psi safely, maybe a touch more which should give you somewhere around 180bhp (rough estimate), fitting water injection will allow you to raise boost further to around 16psi which should yield your required 200bhp as well as provide a safety net against detonation.
You'll probably have to raise the base fuel pressure slighly (squeezing the existing FPR in a vice to suit will do). A drop in element (ITG, K&N, JR) would also be handy to provide a bit of extra airflow capacity. Standard exhaust should be okay but removing the cat the replacing with a straight pipe would provide less back pressure and a decrease in lag. Timing should be just about okay as the LPT vac cap pulls retard in slower under boost, a bit of a fiddle to pull a little more retard in would be advantagous but the RR operator will be able to advise on this when the cars on the rollers and you have the curves to study.

Total cost would be
Second Hand intercooler, mounts and pipes - £100
Water Injection System (Aquamist 1S) - £350
MBC - £30 for the cheapest up to £300 for an electronic version.
Drop In Element - £30
De-Cat - £30
Rolling Road time - £35 per hour plus operators cost. I'd say 2 hours would be more than sufficent.
Total cost around £130.
Total = £670 using the cheaper MBC. This should provide you with a stable and more importantly reliable 200bhp and probably around 220ft/lb of torque.

Hope This Helps.
Matt

All the above figures and prices are guestimates but should be reasonably accurate

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I can't remember whether your MY car had an intercooler and no APC valve, or the other way around

Whichever, you need both to have a good increase in power. The 200hp you seek is readily attainable- my last 9000 was modified along the same lines. Do so under software control rather than any mechanical fixes and you will have a very reliable beast. Abbott are probably the best folk to speak to in the UK.

Although you won't achieve the monster torque of an Aero, you gain on in gear acceleration as the gearbox is quite a low ratio- remember it was originally intended for a 130hp NA engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Do so under software control rather than any mechanical fixes and you will have a very reliable beast. [/qb][/b]
Very very true but sadly a bit of a problem on the LPT 900's as the only electronic control is fueling. Timing and boost are both mechanical. Retrofitting the APC is relatively easy if time consuming and is certainly a better solution than an MBC for the levels of boost we're talking here.

Matt

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very very true but sadly a bit of a problem on the LPT 900's as the only electronic control is fueling. Timing and boost are both mechanical. Retrofitting the APC is relatively easy if time consuming and is certainly a better solution than an MBC for the levels of boost we're talking here.[/b]
Its not very clear from the initial post but i think were talking about a lpt 9000,
These ran Trionic iirc...

Pete.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quick check of the profile reveals its a 9000, well going by the post in the 9K forum anyway . Most of the above advice is still correct bar the MBC and ignition advice. Maptun or similar should be able to provide a suitable upgrade in software. And the larger 9K intercooler should allow a touch more boost safely.

Maptun list a 225bhp upgrade for the 96 - 98 2.0 LPT (Trionic 5). What management does the 93 run?

Matt

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
93 was crossover year between DI/APC/LH and Trionic. MY94 was when the range went exclusively Trionic on turbos.

AFAIK the only Trionics around in MY93 were the 2.3FPTs and the Aeros. This is a different Trionic system than that from MY94 and not interchangeable. Only a limited number of tuners offer upgrades for the MY93 Trionic.

So, an MY93 LPT should be LH. The way to confirm this is that it will have an AMM in the intake pipe rather than a MAP sensor mounted on the bulkhead.

As a for example, the Abbott list price for the Ecopower conversion (assuming you don't have an intercooler, which I'm pretty sure you don't)) is £595 plus VAT. For that you get 190hp/197lbft.

BSR also offer a DI/APC upgrade, although my Swedish isn't good enough to work out what you get in the individual packages!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went for the Hirsch performance upgrade, although it cost slightly more then the Abbott one the performance figures were far more attractive....well in my mind anyway!

Standard 150 Bhp @ 5500 Rpm 210Nm @ 2500 Rpm (160 lb/ft) 10.0 10.5 Seconds (5th Gear) 127 Mph

Abbott Racing 190 Bhp @ 5500 Rpm 262Nm @ 2500 Rpm (197 lb/ft) 8.1 Seconds 8.7 Seconds (5th Gear) 136 Mph

Hirsch 215 Bhp @ 5500 Rpm, 310 Nm @ 2700 Rpm, 0-63 7.5 seconds, 50-75 9.0 seconds(5th. gear, 147 Mph

All figures obtianed from Official websites
http://www.abbottracing.com
http://www.hirsch-performance.com/

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi Guys, on the same subject as above would you need to do the same sort of thing with a 97 2L Lpt CS, I know mine (this Model) has an intercooler and I have never been sure about water injection, the exhaust needs replacing which will be done soon.
regarding taking parts from an FTP, when was the change from no good to to will work on my car?

·
Registered
662 Posts
bacardi

Have a look at www.elkparts.co.uk

They have a number of options/BHP/£ inc.(stage 1 +76bhp & 141nm for £500)

IMHO forget water injection for the 9000,not worth the £ or hastle when you can get so much via stage 1 or 2 upgrades.

Regards,
M.

·
Registered
382 Posts
sorry bad day. not a very helpful answer.
i have a 9000 1997 2.0lpt stage 3 maptun, i sorted my brakes out first, as felt the stock items were pretty poor, there is lots of info on this site about brakes. i then added koni suspension which lowers the car by about 40mm, this gives you a much more stable car, i then added a jt 3" exhaust complete with sports cat, you can get this from elkparts, a very good company for mailorder. i then added a stage 3 ecu from maptun in sweden, my own preference from the few that are available. i have been delighted with the improvements these changes have made to my car, and i hope my comments have been helpful to you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cheers for that list Matt - you've given me a few more ideas. Currently have a 1991 900 S Aero LPT with intercooler, bleed valve and straight-through exhaust but was thinking of the next stage. Water injection seems to be a plan. Are there cheaper alternatives to Aquamist that still perform OK? Bearing in mind that the (rough) price you have listed there for one is more than all my other mods put together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts