Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fit an oil pressure gauge and a water temperature gauge. When I remove the senders and replace them with the ones I got with the gauges this will stop the in dash oil pressure light and dash water temp gauge from working. So, is there such a thing as a dual connector or T piece that I can use so that both my add on gauges and the originals will both work?

If such a thing exists any idea where I can get them?

TIA

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Dont know about the water temp gauge - but the oil pressure gauge from Saab (well VDO with Saab written on it) comes with a single sender with two outputs - one for the pressure gauge and one for the oil pressure light. This sender simply replaces the standard oil pressure light sender.

The Saab aux gauges came with oil pressure, battery voltage and oil temp gauges (sender replaces sump plug), think there was also an outside air temp gauge - why do you want to have a second water temp gauge?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Adrian:
[QB] the oil pressure gauge from Saab (well VDO with Saab written on it) comes with a single sender with two outputs - one for the pressure gauge and one for the oil pressure light. This sender simply replaces the standard oil pressure light sender.

Spoke to Storm Saab in Northampton yesterday about this sender, they didnt have a clue. Basically if it wasnt standard they didnt want to know! And...... "why did I want to mess about with the gauges cos the dash ones go thru the Trionic and If I bypass that I could cause problems" ...... doh!

Were these aux gauges avail only for the 900 as I only told Storm that I had a 9000 so they perhaps wouldnt have thought them applicable. Does the 900 sender fit the 9000?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Good point about Trionic, though. If you were to remove the existing sensor, Trionic wouldn't have a clue whether the engine was hot or cold and you'd either have trouble on cold starts or rich running while hot - can't remember which. Apart from that, you'd probably get a "check engine" light. Thinking about it, I'd imagine the LH system on a 900 would do the same.

sounds like you really need a tee-piece, as ditching the original sensor wouldn't be an option. Anywhere else you could fit a sensor?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont want to ditch the original sensor, I want a T piece and thats what I explained to Storm Saab, they said they didnt do such a T piece as it is not an original Saab part. But further back in this thread Scaero says it was avail for the 900. Would that fit a 9000?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You can't "electrically T-Piece" off an NTC thermistor -- at least not without some additional circuitry! Not sure how you could mechanically connect two temp sensors to that port in the head (or is it in the block) and get an accurate reading. Do you get a supplied sensor with the gauge? If so, what is its fitting?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.