Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI FOLKS
I HAVE A VERY NICE 1997 9000 R REG 2.3LPT ANNIV WITH 70 K HOW CAN I UPGRADE THE CAR TO GIVE ME MORE POWER AND WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST AND BEST WAY TO DO THIS , AND WILL IT AFFECT THE CARS LONGIVITY IE PUTING EXTRA STRESS ON ENGINE ETC.
kimo saabi

·
Registered
293 Posts
First thing to do is go to the left and turn off your caps lock . Caps generally means shouting. Anything you do to make the car faster will put more stress on the engine and transmission, but if the car is in good shape this should not be a problem. LPT's are easy to make as quick as FPT's, if not quicker. The cheapest route is to put in an Intercooler and set up an MBC (Manual Boost Controller) which you can tune to raise your base boost from 0.45 bar to up to 1 bar more or less. This will make the car a damn sight faster than it is, but MBC's are a bit risky on their own as some members here will testify. You could blow up the engine. If you have an APC it is cheap and easy to tweak it. There are also many people who get professionals such as Maptun, Trent or Abbott to tweak the car, although that gets more costly as a rule. Bear in mind I only know about 900 LPT's, which have no IC or APC but are otherwise almost identical to FPT's. I would think 9000's are the same, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
This has been discussed innumerable times - try searching the archives.

In brief, though, yes, it can be done easily and cheaply without drastically affecting longevity. Try either MapTun or Elkparts who do Speedparts upgrades.

There are also Abbott and Hirsch, but they're a bit more expensive.

hth - and please, please, turn your Caps Lock off.

James

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Jezzadee:
[qb]Bear in mind I only know about 900 LPT's, which have no IC or APC but are otherwise almost identical to FPT's. I would think 9000's are the same, but not 100% sure. [/qb][/b]
You're not far off. 9000 LPTs either have APC or an intercooler, but none have both. I believe all 2.3LPTs already have an intercooler. All you would need to make it an FPT would be an upgraded ECU (could be salvaged from a scrap FPT) and an APC valve with associated pipework (could also be salvaged). Or you could go for a reprogralmmed ECU to give even more than the FPT's 200hp.

Also, an increase of 30hp might not sound much, but the associated torque increase will make for a very fast car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts