Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?

I recently had a new condenser fitted and system regassed (2 months ago). Everything working fine until last Monday when it took ages to blow out cool air. The system has been rechecked and there is plenty of refridgerant in the system.

Then on wednesday I was only getting warm air. I tested the ACC control panel by recalibrating and everything checked OK

The problem turned out to be lack of 12v supply to the compressor. This was tested with a length of wire running from the compressor to the +ve battery and this enabled the compressor to run and blow out cool air. (so I know the compressor is okay)

I have checked all the fuses and have deduced it to be either:

1. A faulty relay (the large red one located behind the glove compartment) or

2. Faulty ACC control panel.

Is this likely to be the cause or is it something else. I haven't yet been able to check the red relay with another yet and am reluctant to buy a new one just in case it could be something else

Any ideas to how much these two items cost ?? The car is 93MY 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT

Thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Check the relay first with a multi meter. It's the cheapest bit I would think. And the only bit that you can check yourself when it's out of the car.

If the ACC unit is faulty a new one will be expensive. They look similar to the one on my 9-5 and someone said they cost upwards of £400 new. There should be plenty of secondhand ones around from the usual crowd

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
What about that old favourite, the A/C pressure switch behind/below the offside headlight? It's a combined low and high pressure switch. If the low pressure switch does not turn on, it thinks that there's no refrigerant/oil, so doesn't allow the compressor to engage to prevent compressor damage. If the high pressure switch turns on, it turns on the cooling fan to remove the heat and bring the system pressure down.

The wiring often fails somewhere along the way, deep inside the loom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've solved it but I don't know how

I replaced the red coloured relay (behind the glovebox) and it didn't seem to make a difference. However I noticed that I had been loosing coolant due to a split hose.

I replaced the hose and everything know works fine (touch wood)

I was wondering if the temperature switch prevented the A/C from working due to high engine temp ????? as a result of low coolant level.

( I was using approximately 1/2 litre every 80 miles)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts