Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Shortly to have a S/S freeflow exhaust system fitted. I intend also to replace the D/V and the pipework to & from it. Also shortly to do the shocks & springs. Thought I'd do a post to gain the latest info.

1, What benefits would I see from the Bailey DV 30 and new silicone pipework.

2, What would be the value of a adjustable boost on an DI/APC. It's a '89 2Ltr Carlsson for those who don't know. AFAIK I have never been in the red

3, If i was to fit a highbrid Turbo without having it chipped, what would the outcome be.

4, Konis & eibeck. AFAICT you have to mod the housing to fit the Konis. As i don't fancy the job, what's the alternative. I would like a comfy ride in a straight line with very little lean on corners. ( have just fitted Abbott poly bushes to the wishbones & soon to do the roll bar )

We all know the brutal power of the Carlsson is there anyway of taming it ( or would I loose the essence of the car & therefore be better to leave it alone ) to a more progressive power boost as even with a light foot today in damp conditions and in 3rd gear it managed to spin the wheels

All suggestions will be appreciated.

TA!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
1, What benefits would I see from the Bailey DV 30 and new silicone pipework.

If your old valve is a little leaky, then you'll see a sharper response on acceleration as the new one will seal better. New hoses will help eliminate any possible leaks.

2, What would be the value of a adjustable boost on an DI/APC. It's a '89 2Ltr Carlsson for those who don't know. AFAIK I have never been in the red

If you're after more
, then I believe the best way to do this on DI/APC is to tweak the pots in the APC unit. I can't remember where the info is on this
. A bleed valve would provide a quick and easy increase in boost though.

3, If i was to fit a highbrid Turbo without having it chipped, what would the outcome be.

Little if any benefit to be honest. The current turbo is more than adequately sized for the job. You normally move to a hybrid when seeking significant power inceases. I posted some info on hybrids a while back here in the performance section.

4, Konis & eibeck. AFAICT you have to mod the housing to fit the Konis. As i don't fancy the job, what's the alternative. I would like a comfy ride in a straight line with very little lean on corners. ( have just fitted Abbott poly bushes to the wishbones & soon to do the roll bar)

Shocks will make little difference to the absolute role in corners, only the rate of roll. Stiffer springs really help to control this, but are perhaps not what you're after. Fitting the poly ARBs will help here, and, if yours isn't already (I can't remember) upgrading to a 19mm rear ARB.

Having said that, the Konis do massively improve the overall ride and handling characteristics of the car, they are adjustable and IIRC come with a lifetime warranty.

We all know the brutal power of the Carlsson is there anyway of taming it ( or would I loose the essence of the car & therefore be better to leave it alone ) to a more progressive power boost as even with a light foot today in damp conditions and in 3rd gear it managed to spin the wheels

Anything that stiffens the rear suspension will help here, so the ARB and bushes should help to tame it. Beyond that, you'd have to look to stiffer springs.

Today the roads will have been greasy so that won't help. If you try to back off the
so you can't get wheelspin in the wet, you'll miss all the fun of the car in the dry I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Originally posted by CarlyKeith:
[qb]We all know the brutal power of the Carlsson       is there anyway of taming it ( or would I loose the essence of the car & therefore be better to leave it alone        ) to a more progressive power boost as even with a light foot today in damp conditions and in 3rd gear it managed to spin the wheels    :eek:   .
[/qb][/b]
If the car is so far standard, are the tyres up to the performance? What's fitted at the moment Keith?

Nick.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi

Just touching on the subject of hybrid turbos, I heard that it is possible to fit a turbo from the early 9000's to a later 9000's (1991 onwards).
Because the turbo unit is larger, you have a bit more 'lag' but better performance at the top end.

Is this true?

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today the roads will have been greasy so that won't help. If you try to back off the  so you can't get wheelspin in the wet, you'll miss all the fun of the car in the dry I'm afraid.  [/b]
Just what I don't want Mark

Nick,
I have directional 205-50-R16 87 V's fitted. Not a well respected brand though. Thinking of moving up to 17" alloys and if I do will fit Toyo's or similar.

Just fitted a new fuel filter.It's under the bonnet so according to Haynes I have the older version of the LH Jetronic system fitted. On a run to settle things down ( the battery had been diconected ) I tried a few short blasts of acceleration and it did manage to just enter the red B4 quickly dropping off. I couldn't get into the red again.

Mark,
 A bleed valve it is then  [/b]
Where would this go and what would it do, any picks for an ignaramus ?

Thanks all for the links and posts, keep 'em coming.

Keith.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It's surprising how much more grip a good tyre can seek out in the wet.
'evo's' tyre test showed that under braking in the wet six out of eight tyres tested could achieve more than 0.88g deceleration (0.95g for the best), contrasting to the other two tested that were streets behind at 0.7g or less...

Toyos T1-S was placed third and critisised for it's harshness of ride, with the ContiSport Contact and Goodyear Eagle F1 ahead.

Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by CarlyKeith:
[qb]        QUOTE
 A bleed valve it is then  [/b]
Where would this go and what would it do, any picks for an ignaramus ?

[/qb][/b][/quote]You would cut the pipe that goes from the W port (the middle one) on the APC solenoid and insert it in line there. Effectively, it puts an adjustable leak in the pipe, meaning that not all the pressure gets to the wastegate actuator and thus raising the boost.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems since I fitted the new fuel filter i'm getting 3-4 mpg more. This could be down to the ECU re-mapping or the fact that with the fuel getting thru better the engine's running more efficiently. Thoughts please.

Also using a spanner I checked the rear roll bar and would say it's a 17mm. Therefore, anyone know a good place to buy a 19mm other than scrappy's ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.