Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone else out there finding traction a real problem with this lovely weather we are having in the UK at the moment with their "chipped" T25 9000's ?

I am now finding driving in these conditions a real tip toe exercise, 1st and 2nd gear are now redundant, 3rd gear wheelspin can be provoked with 1/2 throttle and I can feel it also squirming in 4th gear with full throttle.

I am running 17"x7" wheels & 215/45/zr17 which I know can reduce traction, the car has the abbott ecu (and other bits), it maybe just the characteristics of the abbott ecu, with it all arriving very low in the rev range, circa 2.5K

Other owners comments would be much appreciated !

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your tyres/suspension...

The roads have certainly got a lot more slippy in the last few days; a combination of damp and cold will have dramatically reduced the available friction.

However I'm managing to keep traction (just) in most cases in 3rd despite just having had a lower final drive ratio and looney software re-mapping- on 18" wheels. I'm holding a boost level of 1.5bar upwards from 3500rpm, and can occasionally hit peaks of 1.7bar.

Can you remind me of the tyre make/suspension set up of your car.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Falken 215/45ZR17 tyres on 17"x7" wheels

Suspension, 3k old aero dampers and -40mm avo springs.

From what I remember of the rolling road session mine was producing the equal highest torque at low revs. I assume this to be a contributing factor with my lack of traction.

Plus since then I have had a few further mods too.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes, low down torque will contribute to a certain extent to breakaway, especially in lower gears where there's not as much downforce to help keep them on the road. However the point I was making was that I'm putting out more torque with 18" rims and lower final gearing and apparently not suffering the same degree of traction problems... poly bushes on the rear ARB will help by reducing squat, but it sounds to me like you really need a stickier tyre.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Saab9000 2.3t

Didi you ever try the Toyo Proxes T1-S on your 9000?? I did, and i can tell you that`s what grip is al about.
These tyres are really super. There is a tyre wear of 9000 miles do

greetz

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bubbles,

You are right on that
, in the low gears 1st and 2nd, the car will have little downforce.

Maybe I could recruit the team you and Ylee had at the emerald day to sit on my bonnet

You think by adding poly bushes to the rear ARB will help traction by reducing squat somewhat ? At the same time is it also worth fitting the upgraded ARB too ?

I was thinking to switching tyres next time around, a softer compound ? I assume something like the A539 from yokohama would be the kind of tyre I am looking for ?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I'm not sure that a stiffer rear ARB will necessarily reduce squat, however tightening the bushes around it makes it harder for it to move, which does reduce squat.

Regarding tyres, it's always going to be a slightly subjective opinion, but I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed with Bridgestone S03's. Their grip in the wet, as well as the dry, is astounding- and I've run them in 215/45/17. They are the best all round tyre I've found- except for snow traction, in which case forget it. I've also tried Pirelli P Zero Neros which are meant to have some snow traction. I haven't yet been able to confirm this, but their wet dry performance isn't bad, but not as good as the S03s.

Other tyres that are "proven and tested" by SSc member include the Yoko AVS sport, Toyo Proxes T1S and the Goodyear Eagles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts