Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I while back my 9000 was having some high-speed, long running boost cooling problems... since my airco compressor has decided to die, I've decided to remove the airco radiator on the front of the 9000... luckily all the gas in the airco system has long since vented to air..

Prior to the mod.

I removed the grill, and removed one of the headlamps to get a better view... jacked up the front of the car and then I removed the under car splash guard and one of the front driving lamp covers.

The large radiator that has to be removed.

I then undid the top and bottom airco feeds to the radiator...as normal these were completely seized... and required a fair soaking in WD40.

Then using a number 10 socket and 10 spanner, undid the restraining bolts holding the radiator to the intercooler.

And after removing the top bolt from the radiator assembly and prizing it back towards the engine, I unhooked the airco radiator from the restraining clip.

And then dropped the whole thing out through the bottom.

There should be a heck of a lot more air getting to the water radiator and intercooler now with this thing removed from the front of it all..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Now ditch the compressor and take all the pipes out and also remove the heat exchanger below the front windscreen, it weighs a load, instant performance gain! You can stick a second intercooler in place of the a/c condensor and run in parallel. Thats what I'm going to be doing soon.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually.. I was thinking about ditching the compressor as well... is there a belt that can be fitted so that the compressor can be removed?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Actually.. I was thinking about ditching the compressor as well... is there a belt that can be fitted so that the compressor can be removed?[/b]
There should be as AC / ACC was optional on some models.

Also, /john had a short belt fitted to his 9-3 last month when the ACC pump failed and while waiting for a replacement to do exactly what you want.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]Actually.. I was thinking about ditching the compressor as well... is there a belt that can be fitted so that the compressor can be removed? [/qb][/b]
Yes, in fact I got one for KevinY when he did the same on his Aero - remember the photo of it not fitting because he hadn't routed it correctly?

Can't remember where I put the part number...

·
Registered
623 Posts
By the way,

when my compressor died I didn't even thought about removing A/C from my car, I did half a summer without it when it failed and it was more than enough to urge me to find another compressor! Black leather isn't that cool in the summer, even in a white car, I tell you...
Just a downside of living in a sunny country, I guess

·
Registered
778 Posts
By Mark in Ireland
You can stick a second intercooler in place of the a/c condensor and run in parallel.  Thats what I'm going to be doing soon.    

[/b]
According to what I've read by MacInnes, parallel core installations can lower the mixture velocity so much that poor performance results. The recommendation was for any engine displacing less than 400 cu. in. a series installation is much more effective.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb]  You can stick a second intercooler in place of the a/c condensor and run in parallel.  [/qb][/b]
I can't comment on it's efficacy as an intercooling solution, but you'll actually be putting an even bigger resistance in the way of airflow to the coolant radiator than the a/c radiator presents...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb] parallel core installations can lower the mixture velocity so much that poor performance results. [/qb][/b]
I would have thought it would be the other way round

Any extra intercooler volume will put a bigger volume of air between the turbo and the inlet which could increase the lag. But a series system gives a longer path with higher velocities (more pressure loss)in the intercoolers than a parallel system.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
It's my understanding that the 9000 intercooler is pretty good and doesn't need messing with in most cases.

So much so, that the 9000 IC is a sought after item for may other performance brans vehicles.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Stefano:
[qb]Part number? here it is[/qb][/b]
Thanks. Just looked it up - that number was originally listed only for '94-'98, but it looks like the '90-'93 non-AC/ACC belt has been superseded by this so it should fit all B234 engines without AC/ACC.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The way I see it is the a/c condensor is nigh on the same size as the IC, thus putting another in its place might not be too much of an issue. The extra volume bit and the comments about drops in velocity and lag etc will be a suck it and see exercise.....if nobody trys it because people think it might not work wouldn't agree with my way of thinking...we would never know until we try! The volume inside the IC isn't a great amount and do people who stick, say an abbott one one not get any increase in lag as the volume of that intercooler is certainly bigger than standard. I have two spare IC's to experiment with, they fit in the same location holes, I just need to fab up some bespoke inlet pipes and put a larger bore pipe to the throttle body.....now I know that works cos abbott are selling them!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
here is my theories on intercoolers
high flow does not necessarily mean more hp
there is a temperature factor as well...
it is the efficiency of the i/c that is important
ie the temperature drop across the i/c times the airflow
Increasing airflow is good for the breathing of the engine
but the i/c is cooling the air and therefore increasing its density so there will be a reduction in pressure and flow but this is a good thing because the air is denser and you can cram more in for a higher charge density
so you need to cool it and you ned to flow lots
so the bigger and thinner the better with optimised inlet and outlet trunking
the 9000 design is pretty good imho but could certainly do with some improvement however I have been very concerned with the abbott design as it seems to block a lot more than the standard
ok more air flows but what temp drop across ?
Before I change the i/c i would want to know this
also I would like to know the obscuration factor the other way
ie what it does to the airflow through the radiator 'stack '?...
overheating kills engines so this is v important

comments ?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
ylee...

The first thing I noticed when I changed to the Abbott I/C from standard was a very significant reduction in lag. After that there was the problme that I hit overboost more easily, clearly showing that there was less pressure loss across the intercooler.

I also took the opportunity to undertake some acceleration runs with a low mass thermocouple probe in the intake pipe just before the reducing elbow. At an ambient temp of of 18 deg C, the highest intake temp I saw was 27 deg C, which I reckon was pretty good going.

On the track day at Anglesey, I was hovering at or around the coolant temp that the fan normally comes on at. I reckon that if your coolant system is not at its best due to age and mild corrosion then it may give problems in hot summer conditions. However raising the back of the bonnet by a few mm is easy to do and helps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts