Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my CD was seeping oil after getting a few wiffs of hot oil inside the cabin. Looks like it's eascaping from somewhere around the the Timing chain cover.

Took it to Highgate Saab Part (now very conveninetly located 5 minutes from where I work ) and they got it on the lift and had a look around. Couldn't see clearly where the leak was originating from but it looks like it's going to need fixing asap. Which is a bummer as I may have to put off getting my wheels/brakes/springs.

The cars currently filled with Silkolene Turbolene GTi (15W/50) and I've bought some Mobil One motorsport with the same 15W/50 rating. Before I chuck this in, is there any danger I could end up with a sump full'o'sludge and hence heafty repair bills?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Neil(CS2.3T):
[qb]If they are both the same type of oil, ie semi-synthetic or fully-synthetic, there shouldn't be a problem, but the two types of oil don't mix, so I've been told. [/qb][/b]
The Silkolene is described as a "Synthetic Based Racing Specification Engine Oil." As opposed to a fully synthetic engine oil, I did ask TSL and they said 10/40 fully synth as a minimum.

Basically I bought the oil tonight, on my own assumption after TSL had closed. I only threw away a tenner if I can't use it.

Perhaps I better leave it and get the oil changed next week. I will ask PE for their opinion before I stick it on the dyno, I don't really want the engine going bang. It's a b**** good engine apart from the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.