Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.3 16v auto. with red ign. unit.
Symptom:- occasionaly get missfire ( I think ).Seems to occur after slowing, say when entering roundabout, then, as accelerating get hesitation like.....dit, dit, dit, dit before smooth pickup.
When I removed ign. unit recently to check plugs I found some oil round one of them and one of the long plastic tube parts of the ign. unit was cracked. I think the oil probably leaked from here but it could possibly have been a badly seated plug.
I do not have any other failure symptoms, only very occasionaly as above.
So the big question is: what are the common symptoms of a failing ign. unit? e.g. do one or more coils go dead giving total failure to fire one or more plugs, or do they do what mine is doing?
Thanks in advance......

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can be any combination, from a missfire at or around peak torque under heavy acceleration (as I had on my Carly), a hesitancy that clears up (as you seem to have), or a total failure with no previous warning (as a friend experienced on trying to start his 9000i one morning on holiday...)
Oil leaking from a coil is a classic symptom of impending failure, although some can go on for ages with no actual problem manifesting itself.
Nick.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you take the DI unit out to look at it, don't turn it upside down 'cos the oil runs to the wrong end. If you have turned it wrong way up, leave it a while after putting it back so the oil can run back in place and do whatever it's supposed to do. I think the book said 20 minutes??????

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Sounds like the classic symptoms of DI cart failure... if oil is leaking then you are going to loose performance on that cylinder.

MI have had to replace DI carts on both old 2.3i and my "new" 2.0lpt. But failure times were very different... the 2.3 was intermittent and was like that for weeks and didn;t get worse.. the 2.0lpt went from single misfires to not possible to drive within 300 miles....

If I was yuou I'd get a new cart now and change it in case you failure is a rapid one.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.