Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of things came to light whilst servicing my car at work tonight (see belt idler as well).
The first was that I'd been experiencing some strange behaviour in reponse to the throttle, particularly at cruising speeds. It seemed like it needed a lot of throttle to gain any acceleration, then took off like a rocket. I sussed that the little e-clip, that holds the wastegate actuator rod to the gate itself, had corrroded so much that it was jamming the operation of the wastegate. Replaced it with a stainless steel 'R' clip, and as if by magic the problem's gone! (This also affected the car when in cruise control).
The second fault was an intermittent operation of the rear wiper. It turned out that some bodge-tastic wiring repairs had gone on in the vicinity of the tailgate hinge!! I've never before seen a repair where the wires were twisted together and then wrapped in Opal Fruits wrappers!!!!!!!! This had been done where the cables enter the tailgate at the top of the rainwater channel on the hatch. Needless to say, much replacing of cables ensued and the wiper works better than it ever has. (This car had a full main dealer service history when I bought it, but their auto-electrician must have gone to a different college to me, or perhaps I never graduated to the dizzying heights of the Opal Fruit insulation theory???????!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Pete.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I wonder if Opal fruits have a higher insulation value than masking tape,thats what a Ford main dealer(In the London area) had used on the instalation of a very expensive radio in a friends Mondeo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts