Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken delivery of a set of 1144s from Rally Design. Thanks to Liam L for the recommendation - they delivered quickly and at a good price. I've fitted half of them, but I'm a bit puzzled because the fronts came with sticky rubber/plastic triangles, and the rears came with similar rectangles about the size of a matchbox. These are not mentioned in the instructions, and I have not had them in previous sets of pads.

So, all you chaps who have used them before, what are they for, where do they go, why are we here, what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am familiar with the traditional anti squeal shim, a thim metallic device. These things are however thin adhesive pads, with a rubbery/plasticky nature. They are unlike anything I have seen in a pack of brake pads before. They could be of alien origin......

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
A lot of pads now have a sticky covering on the pad, when they are used this sticks to the piston/carrier and is more effective than the old metal shims. If these are sticky pads they may well be the same idea.

Neil

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have fitted 1144 pads front and rear. The rubbery pads serve a dual purpose:

<ul type="square">
[*]to help reduce brake squeal
[*]to provide a more progressive feel
[/list]

Regarding the second item, the pads increase the pedal travel by a small amount for a given pedal pressure, to make the feel of the brakes a bit more progressive. This is especially useful if stainless steel brake hoses are in use.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All pads fitted and bedded in. I didn't fit the sticky plastic pad things, so we'll see if I get horrid squeal or other nastiness. I can't quite see the point of building sponginess into the system, especially after paying good money for the Aeroquip hoses to get rid of it!

One thing I did notice that may be of use to anyone contemplating some M1144 pads: the pads that fit on the piston side have the a three legged spring that locates in the piston. The ones on the front were OK, but the ones on the rear were too long, and bottomed out in the piston. If fitted like this (difficult but still), adjustment is difficult and results in huge slack in the system.

I had to bend the spring legs quite significantly to get the pad to sit on the piston properly, after which all was well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad to be of assistance Mark, hope the new brakes are good. I may fit the same to mine when the OE pads wear out (still about 8mm left to go...)

Just to reiterate www.raldes.co.uk has a full catalogue in the Feb '03 edition of Cars and Car Conversions. (I have no association with them, unfortunately)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was doing Rally Design a disservice - they were actually £121.19.

Anyway, having followed the bedding in instructions on Saturday, and driven a few miles on Sunday and today, I managed to find a clear bit of road on the way home and can report thus:

wet road: very easy ABS activation
dry road: ABS activation not difficult.

I have NEVER managed to get ABS activation in the dry before. So pretty huge improvement. Yippee!!

Not only were Rally Design cheaper than EuroCP/Howe Engineering/Demon Tweeks etc, they actually sent the right parts (unlike DT many times previously when I got the car) quickly, even though they weren't in stock on the day I phoned. Nobody else had stock either.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps I should clarify: "not difficult" = pressing firmly with one foot. Previously I could press hard with both (or more!) feet, and not trouble the sleeping ABS slaves.

As you mention grippy tyres, I was expecting someone here to mention the recent (week before last) Autocar tyre test. A sweeping Pirelli victory (P7 and PZero from memory), but Bridgestone declined to take part. Autocar commented about rumours of problems with the mighty S-03. Surely not!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts