Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

You probably will laugh at this, but I decided to test this gadget. The permanent magnet booster to increase the gas mileage. Instead of buying the $90 gadget, I bought a "Screwdriver Magnetizer/demagnetized" at Sears for $3.50 (!) and put it on the gas line on my 9000 CS 96. When I bought this car with 100,000 miles about 2 weeks before, the computer was displaying 21.8 miles/gal (US), without a roof rack. After the change and after driving a 700 mile trip both ways(1400 total)with a roof rack and a windsurfer on top, the computer displayed 27.1 mpg.... I will keep it in for a while and then revert to driving w/o to test the effect, before installing it again. Anyone has had any similar experience?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My thought is that the magent thing didn't do anything and the increase in gas mileage was due to the long trip. I usually get much better gas mileage on long trips then I do around town. Also, I'm always skeptical of those quick fix type of things. Do your other tests and keep us informed. Any lonks to the magnet things you speak of?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hey, I found that I was getting about 27.5 mpg and the best I got was 34.2 mpg. Normally now I can get the computer to read 31.2 mpg (mixed driving) (all of these are over several hundred miles).

My solution was free - I slowed down!

David.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,

I am not sure about the long trip being the explanation. I have read 21.8 mpg after the first leg of 700 miles, driving average ~ 60 mph ( some at 75 mph and some at 40 mph). At the start of the return trip, still reading the same, arriving at home it jumped to over 27 mpg.
In the description of these gadgets they mention a delay in improvement due to "cleaning hydrocarbons" deposited in the engine... Could be a bunch of crock, but what do I have to loose- at $3.50 I will keep testing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by David Taylor:
[qb]Hey, I found that I was getting about 27.5 mpg and the best I got was 34.2 mpg.  Normally now I can get the computer to read 31.2 mpg (mixed driving) (all of these are over several hundred miles).[/qb][/b]
You guys obviously have lighter feet than I do. My 9000 Aero reports 26.1mpg at a constant 100mph. On a closed circuit only, of course.

Amazing how different the consumption is at 60 vs 100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.