Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9000 cse is due for a complete set of new tyres. I have heard that michelin energy tyres give better fuel consumption.
Has anyone fitted these to their car and if so do they make a difference or is there a
downside to them. I presume they are more
expensive.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think they claim this cos' they have a compount that gernerates less rolling resistance. Quite a few other companies now have something similar - in fact nearly every major company now makes the same claim.

My experience of Michelin's are a very hard & durable tyre which are usually 25% more expensive but last 25% longer - at the expense of ultimate grip.

One point I learnt recently, when buying tyres looks on the treadwall for the tyre rating. You should see something like

Temperature A Traction A Treadwear 280.

This should be on all tyres & gives an indication of their operating perameters. Most tyres rate an A for temp & traction but I have seen 200-300 on treadwear - the higher the better.

Neil.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
and if you see A, A, and 80, you've probably got Yokohama's on (well for the next few weeks anyway...)

Most of the 16" tyres i've had over the last 10 years have been 140 - 180 treadwear.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'd forgotten about the treadwear rating on the sidewall until seeing this thread.

How about this, some very average Hankooks with a 450 rating!!! Is this a record???
By the way the're not on my car!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have always thought Michelin tyres to be unpredictable in the wet. For that reason alone I would not buy even though I am an ecofreak and know they last a long time. BTW, they are noisy.
I had Nankangs on my Carlsson and they were excellent. Let's not start this tyre thing again though.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts