Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of fitting a combined sat nav, bluetooth, TV, Iphone controller to the Saab. It's a double din unit, but will need a Saab fitting kit. There is also a steering, wheel can bus adapter which I would like to fit.

Has anybody got any instructions on how to remove the stereo in there, it's a 2008 Sportwagon. Or has anybody done this before.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think you'll find you have to remove the air vent above it, which is a task on it's own, there is a couple of posts on here that tell you how to do that, i can't remember the posts though, if & when you do remove it then there is only 2 screws that hold it all in, i'll take a look & see if i can find it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, how is the vebt fitted above the radio ?.

Is the connector on the existing radio a ISO connector or will I need a adapter to plug into the new radio which is ISO.

I like the hidden GPS under the centre speaker grill.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This thread on rattles shows how to remove the vent http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthre...909#post1233909(it shows a 2003-2006 dash, but the vents are the same on 2007+)

A lead is required to convert the Saab wiring connections to standard ISO connections, you can see the detail of the lead I used in my writeup.

I had the GPSantenna placed under the centre speaker grill when I had that setup in my 2007 sportwagon, I now have the same setup in my 2008 convertible, but I now have the GPS antenna buried in the dash behind where the stereo sits, as I have kept the centre speaker in this time. The GPS reception does not seem to have been affected by burying the antenna deeper in the dash

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links, there are 2 double din adapters, both say they fit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CT24SA02-Saab-9-3-Do...=item25615a8d68

and one number different on the part number

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saab-9-3-Car-CD-Ster...=item3a641632cf

On the steering controls I have found this unit, which I think converts the CAN BUS to voltage levels, but can anybody confirm this please.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-9-3-Steering-Wh...=item3efbc944eb

Thanks again for the help.

Loving the car, got 51mpg on the way to London which was a 80 mile trip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything is fitted and working now, the unit I bought was one of these http://www.easyrising.com/Products/Details...011519464640885 and to be honest it is good value for money at £185 including next day UK delivery. Came with European maps on 2Gb card and the steering controls work via the CAN Bus adapter, I just selected the Sony interface lead and cut the end off to solder direct to the radio connections. The support has been good too when I had a couple of questions

I have a photo which I will post up later.

The only small issue is that I used the Saab amp, which means the outputs from the sat nav is a bit too high, but when I tried the line out connections (unbalanced to balanced on Saab) there was a lot of interference and a lack of level. I could buy some transformers, but the level was still too low. In the end I went for the standard sat nav amp output to the Saab amp, which is OK but has some hiss at low volumes. I will sort this out by using a 50% attenuator (basically a couple of 5p resistors for each leg), but you can't hear it anyway when your driving, so no big problem. There is no intereference though at all. The aerial reception is not great, but then it wasn't before, so I may look for a booster.

Total cost was £263.00 including fascia, cage, wiring loom, aerial adapter and Can Bus steering adapter.

EDIT: Can Bus interface also provides handbrake output for stopping TV on move etc. Also I used the aerial control output on the Sat Nav unit to connect 12V to the remote (switch on Saab amp) and aerial activation. I took the illumination from the switch panel to the right of the stereo (panel with night illumination, Sports button on)

·
Registered
550 Posts
swedishcar : seems like great value, given the spec as detailed in your link.

If it does all the things it claims to do (in the way you want it to do them !!) and proves to be reliable in the long term, then I'd say you've got a lot of bang for your buck ! :grin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Swedishcar,

You have done exactly what I hope to do next. I look forward to seeing some pics and an update on your opinion of the unit in general.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took a couple of photo's using iPhone (it is the camera which is blurred not the screen). So far it works well and seems a bargain for £185. Still need to attenuate the signal a little to the built in Saab amp, but you hardly notice, plus I made the mistake of pushing the top vent back in and that it a nightmare to remove to get to the radio.

Steering controls work well using a Saab Can Bus adapter with sony connection and a bit of manual wiring

·
Registered
550 Posts
well it certainly does seem to be a lot of kit for the money !

I do like the map graphics/images - esp. the way the way the speed (er... i meant 'safety') cameras are shown so clearly

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sound is pretty good and certainly better than the Saab unit, I still need to drop the levels to the amp in the car to remove some noise. It's just a couple of resistors to reduce the level by 50%.

So far it has been pretty good, the mic for the telephone is not the best, but it's probably on a par with the majority of hands free kits. I may try and connect to the car mic.

The hardest thing is getting the vent out of the dash above the radio in the first place, that's why I haven't reduced the output level yet !!!.

The safety cameras need to be uploaded as a database file from the internet for free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link.

I spent some time finishing the installation today. I put some 10K resistors inline from the audio out on the head unit to the Saab amp and the level is perfect now. All the hiss and noise has gone and the sound is much better than the OEM head unit. I did think about unbalanced to balanced converters for line level, but found they were affected by interference.

We have strong radio reception here, so it appeared to be OK, but when I went on a recent trip the radio reception was pretty poor. I think the sensitivity of the head unit is different to the Saab one, so I fitted a aerial amplifier. Basically it's a inline unit with 12V supply taken from the antenna control on the head unit.

The result is that reception is perfect and the output from the head unit to the Saab amp is well matched. I would have to say it is a good head unit and I can't understand how they do it for the money as it is as good built in units costing £2K.

The cost of the resistors was 13p and the aerial booster £3.79.

If anybody buys one and needs help with the steering remotes, resistors etc, please send me a message.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Swedishcar

A few questions on what is an excellent project and thanks for the writeup as I would never have come across this product or considered it;
1) On the website, there are quite a few different Erisin models, how did you decide which is best?
2) I see they sell a reversing camera as well. Does this fit into the aux input?

You obviously have a lot of car audio experience. Not sure something like this is for amateurs like me. Most of it looks plug & play but......... Thanks again for sharing, any issues since your last post? Like others, still having trouble reconciling the low price vs the perceived quality of thee unit.

Regards, Nijee

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My choice was really limited to what was in stock in their UK warehouse. If I was choosing again, I would buy one with a removeable front panel, TMC and also the newer software which allows bluetooth while using sat nav.

Still very happy with the unit, sound quality is great and much better than Saab radio. Sat Nav is very good, with good route calculation.

It might sound complex, but apart from the resistors and steering wheel connector, it is pretty simple. I don't have much experience of car audio, but I do work in the broadcast industry, so do a fair bit of audio work. The resistors just fit in line, so you cut the cable and just solder the resistor in on both + & - side. Steering wheel you just cut off the Sony 3.5mm plug and wire direct to steering control on radio.

If you get stuck, you can contact me. Mine is a 08 model, which I think is the same as 06 versions when it comes to wiring. Before that I believe it is fibre optics etc.

One thing I did find is you can't use the pop out drink holder as it hits the bottom of the radio.

Not sure about reversing camera, there is a wire to connect to reversing light to activate it. I will check but I think there is a seperate input for the camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Swedishcar,

I'm still looking to change my head unit and think I'll go for one of the Erisin units. I just wanted to find out your long term impressions and whether the unit has been reliable and that you are still happy with it?

The unit I am looking at has a mic built in to the unit, is yours the same, and if so can your callers hear you OK?

Do you have any other comments on the unit?

Regards

homepm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.