Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just come back from helping a friend do some mods on his Carlsson. Fitted dumpvalve, Abbott MBC and JR cone filter. We also swapped the springs for some STAX. But the drop seems far too excessive to me. A massive 45mm at the front, and a whopping 50mm at the rear
. Doesn't look quite right to me. Can anyone advise if that is right? Or would he have to fit low profile tyres (which would no doubt drop the car even more!)
It's cold out there, so I don't really fancy changing the springs again this weekend. But if that is the consensus, we'll have no choice . I am hoping there is another way .

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by StanleyB:
[qb]Just come back from helping a friend do some mods on his Carlsson. Fitted dumpvalve, Abbott MBC and JR cone filter. We also swapped the springs for some STAX. But the drop seems far too excessive to me. A massive 45mm at the front, and a whopping 50mm at the rear  
  . Doesn't look quite right to me. Can anyone advise if that is right? Or would he have to fit low profile tyres (which would no doubt drop the car even more!)
It's cold out there, so I don't really fancy changing the springs again this weekend. But if that is the consensus, we'll have no choice     . I am hoping there is another way     . [/qb][/b]
That is a lot, I'm having the Bilstein kit fitted next week, that will be a 40mm drop and by my calculations will have the top of the tyres in line with the apex of the wheelarch. 50mm does seem excessive and certainly having the car sitting lower at the back could cause traction and general understeer problems. It sounds as though the springs aren't quite the right ones for the car, perhaps they are designed for the earlier (and lighter) 2.0 litre cars. Is the Carlsson a 2.3?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2.0L Carlsson. And in this case the top of the tyre is a few millimetres above the apex of the wheel arch.
Does it look like another cold day swapping the springs back Jason?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by StanleyB:
[qb]It's a 2.0L Carlsson. And in this case the top of the tyre is a few millimetres above the apex of the wheel arch.
Does it look like another cold day swapping the springs back Jason? [/qb][/b]
Mmm, take it for a good throrough test drive and see what you both think. If it works, stick with it, if not then "yes" it would be worthwhile taking them off and rejecting them to the supplier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts