Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some guidence on how much i can wind my actuator in? currently i am running 12psi (i know this because i have a boost gauge). Previously I was running 8-9psi.

I want more power but dont want to blow up my car! :)

Anyone help?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Is the a 1993 Aero or a 9.3 Aero?

In either case, winding in the actuator will make no difference to peak boost presure, but will remove that safety marging that the APC can clear down to if you get engine or fuel problems.

Clamping the wastegate down to the upper part of it's range will allow better low down pick up, but setting it too high may actually reduce max power as the car compensated for the low overpressure.

ECU upgrade is the best and only safe way to do this.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As you mentioned in you other post, you have a T7 car. Changing the boost setting this way will not help you much power wise. AFAIK, the T7 looks for a preset amount of air being brought into the engine for a given rpm. When you turn up the boost, it consequently partially closes the electronic throttle to shoot for the target volume of air. Therefore, doing what you have done probably didn't help very much power wise. I do recommend, however, going for a good ECU upgrade after performing intake and exhaust mods I touched on in your other post. There are many tuners out there that have T7 ECU upgrades. Here is a list in no particular order: Hirsch Performance, Abbott Racing, Maptun, Speedparts, SQR, Nordic, ChipCenter, Swedish Dynamics, BSR and perhaps a few others I have failed to remember. Do your shopping so you get what you want. Anyways, this is a much safer way to raise boost and overall power on a Tionic car since it will retain the APC's function. The APC controls the boost and can back off the boost when detonation or knocking occurs. If you deffeat or other wise alter this system, the ECU may or may not be able to protect itself from knocking. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the guidence you know your stuff :)

If i wind the actuator back out will my whoosh noise get lower? :-(

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes, it may. But consider this, you may want to think about what is good for your car's power as well as longevity versus looks and sound. You'll find by doing the right thing the first time, you'll probably end up close to what you imagined in the beginning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts