Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my ‘94 2.0 EcoPower is cold, she has started to produce an unbelievable amount of blue smoke – to the extent that you cannot see behind and people are flashing me!!!

I have searched previous posts, but my symptoms are a little different:

• Runs perfectly (no rough running or erratic idle... i.e. no head gasket issues)
• Smokes only for the first 5 minutes (gradually decreasing as she warms up)
• No smoke at all once warm (not even at idle or deceleration)

My deduction is that oil is getting into some part of the Turbo (my knowledge of turbo chargers is limited), when the components are cold, and as the metal expands with temperature the “leak” closes up and the oil circuit is sealed as normal.

Does this sound like a serviceable part (gasket or something) ?
Is the whole Turbo sh***ed?

She recently got too hot in traffic when the cooling fan failed – might this have caused some damage to bearing seals/gaskets?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Jules,
It sounds like the turbo is gone, if my experience is anything to go by. Same symptoms for me and it accelerated the trading in of my car to get a 9-5. I had been in to the dealer a coupe of times and even gone through a deal on trade with him. The dealer, where I still had a few days of warranty, told me 'no it is not your turbo, you are fine'. So I called his bluff and traded it against a car on the lot which I had my eye on. It cost him 800 euros to replace the turbo before he could sell it.

Any way, it does sound like the turbo is on the way out, I only ever had the billowing blue / white smoke on start up then it went when I drove it.

Sorry to pass on the bad news.

Still I could be wrong, and this is only my experience.

Regards

DaveJ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.