Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Don't know whether to put this in the performance or the plain old 9000 section, but seeing as it is a performance part, here goes...

My '95 9000 Aero is at 100,000 kms.. and the clutch is slipping a little on hotter days and/or slightly more abusive driving, at high torque situations (ie, 2000 rpm acceleration in higher gears). This leads me to belive that it hasn't got too much life left in it, so I am pricing new clutch kits...
-- OE genuine Saab kit - $675 + postage
-- OE clutch disc + 600Nm Sachs pressure plate - approx $750 + postage
-- Spec Stage 1 clutch kit (good for 540Nm) $930 + postage.

MapTun say that the 600Nm Sachs pressure plate has problems dissengaging at higher RPM's, and the Spec ones don't suffer from this.

Any information or thoughts on this? - I plan to go to either stage 1 or straight to stage 3 after christmas, and I want a clutch that will last a reasonable ammount of time.. especially at these prices. - it cost me $150 for the kit for my '87 9000 Turbo.. wish the aero ones were as cheap!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I looked at the Spec clutches and decided on the Sach Uprated PP as it was well proven.
Now that Maptun and others are selling the Spec, I'd seriouslty consider them although I think the engagement will still be more abrupt than the sachs plate.
I dont notice any engagement issues with the Sachs although it does bite slightly lower down. I believe the high rpm issue is for heavily tuned to cars changing at 6-7k rpm.

tbh, I'd go for the cheapest one that will take the planned torque. (in theory a new standard clutch will work for stage 3, but for stage 4 you need a little more bite)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
funnily enough I have noticed this myself
the clutch kinda hangs when you are toeing it...
which means fluffing the gearchange....
I thought it was me !!

the action is a little heavier and the disengage point is right on the floor when it is new
(My acheing leg !)but gets better when you have burnt a few mm off it ...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do roughly 45,000kms a year, and the fact that the standard one has only lasted 100,000 kms on this car (don't know how the previous drivers treated it) doesn't make me confident in the standard clutch. I plan to go straight to stage 3 within the year, and I wouldn't want to be running that close to the limit of the standard pressure plate.
I would like to not have to upgrade the clutch again if I were to go up to stage 4 after that.

The thing I would be hoping for the most is a longer life in the clutch because it would slip less, therefore not glazing or burning.
I know the the MapTun dealer here in oz was running a standard clutch with stage 4 up untill a month ago, when he changed to the 600nm pressure plate. He told me that the clutch disc still had at least 50,000 kms of material left, it was just the pressure plate couldn't clamp hard enough with the 490Nm he was putting out.

I dislike changing clutches, so when I do it, I want it to last like my parent's '84 Range Rover - 300,000kms and still going strong on the original clutch!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts