Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I want the Maptun upgrade over the Speedparts, but the Speedparts is so readily accessible/available.

Does anyone know if the Maptun Stage 1 (ECU & filter) for MY02 9-3 Aero has to be fitted by an approved outlet?

Thanks.

(although I'll quite happily go for the Speedparts )

·
Registered
778 Posts
Don't know about Mark, but Bill's 9000 uses a T5. The 9-3 has a T7, which needs a TechII or ISAT to properly install the new ECM.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]I think Leon's T7 from Speedparts was also a DIY fit, since they copied all the settings from his old unit to the new one. [/qb][/b]
The Speedparts order form asks for details of the car - TCS, VSS, cruise, chassis number etc. Are these the kind of settings that the new unit needs?

I was under the impression that the Speedparts was plug'n'play and was hoping the Maptun would be too.

I have read the Maptun site properly now and they do state you can fit it yourself :

"Q. Can I install the upgrade myself?
A. Yes, we can send an upgraded ECU by mail. Stock ECU is then returned to us. If you are the least bit uncertain on the procedure, we recommend that you contact us or one of our dealers for installation."

I've been pondering an ECU upgrade for some time, but then I've jumped in my car for a blast and been more than happy with the power. However I drove a chipped Audi A3 1.9TDi (with about 170BHP & 370Nm of torque) and was completely blown away by it (shame it has such a narrow powerband though). Since driving it my car's power has seemed flat . I think I want the Maptun upgrade because the torque curve seems flatter and broader, but if it's hassle to get I'll happily settle for the Speedparts.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and thank you (whoever it was) for moving the topic to a more appropriate forum

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by Aero
I think I want the Maptun upgrade because the torque curve seems flatter and broader[/b]
One reason I went with Speedparts was the rising torque curve: less strain on the gearbox low down.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
But the Maptun upgrade feels so much quicker because of the torque curve and it didn't seem to cause my transmission any problems for the first year or more until I simultaneously had a lower final drive and an LSD fitted, and then only in second gear - I specifically asked Maptun for no boost limit in 2nd. Even then, the problem is really down to the inner driveshaft joints not fitting very well. The 9-5 might be a lot better in that respect.

Alan_b has driven both my Maptun'd car and his own Speedparts'd car (before he started playing with the Dawes device). He reckoned that my car was a lot more responsive and that if his had picked up as quickly as mine, he probably wouldn't have bothered with the Dawes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]The 9-5 might be a lot better in that respect.
[/qb][/b]
Unfortunately mine's a 9-3

What problems did you have with your transmission BillJ?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Aero:
[qb]What problems did you have with your transmission BillJ? [/qb][/b]
The left-hand driveshaft inner driver popping out under extremely hard right turns while flooring it in 2nd gear (no boost limit, remember), which was a silly way to drive anyway as a lot less lock on the steering would have given a better line and faster progress. On the 9000, it seems the inner driver on that side approaches its full extension during hard right turns when the suspension is well compressed. With the LSD, instead of the right-hand wheel simply spinning and leaving me with no drive to either wheel, most of the torque (well over 2000lbft, I estimate) was fed to the left-hand driveshaft via the inner driver, which was extended so far that the massive torque wrenched it apart.

The joint is easily replaced and not really that expensive. However, when it lets go, the driveshaft flails around and smacks the gearbox, leaving a hole in it and necessitating a rebuild. Which is not so nice.

If you have a boost limit in 2nd gear, as the tuners will recommend and supply by default, you should have no problems. Also, my Aero peaks at 330lbft with over 310lbft available from 2500-5000 rpm. If your 9-3 is a 2.0, then the available torque will be somewhat less.

I did once have the final drive gears fail but since that was 36 hours after a rebuild for the previous problem, I would say it was connected to either the failure or the rebuild and not a separate problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that BillJ, and yes torque will be considerably less (in the region of 40-50lbft less) - but hopefully still a whole load of fun

SteveN - I take your point about the torque rising gradually with the Speedparts chip and this is probably desirable in a 'reducing torque-steer and wheel-spin kind of way', but all that torque from low-down with the Maptun should be a blast

Many thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aero

Try West Midlands Saab. They may fit it and I quess the procedure is the same as fitting the speedparts which they do lots of.

Or try Trent Saab. I am sure they will fit it as whilst they claimed to have never hear of speedparts they said they would have fitted it for me.

You know I went with speedparts, well I cant help but think that the abbott would have been better for pure thrill / kick as the speedparts is very gradual.
Im thinking of phoning abbott and changing over to theirs. at least I will know the diference between the two for my next saab.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mushdaffer, you seem a little disappointed with your upgrade? It is working isn't it??? I've read on this board of one or two that haven't performed (although one was an Abbott upgrade I think)

Why Abbott and not Maptun?

I wanted to fit the ECU myself, didn't particularly want to take it to a dealer, but thanks for the info.

Aero.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hello you all,

Keep in mind that promised torque and power curves dont always print out as they are posted on tuners sites.
Here is on dynoprint from an 9-3 aero MY2001, with Sp stage I

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]Hello you all,

Keep in mind that promised torque and power curves dont always print out as they are posted on tuners sites.
Here is on dynoprint from an 9-3 aero MY2001, with Sp stage I

[/qb][/b]
Sorry Vigge - are you saying that it is better or worse than expected? Certainly the torque peak at 420NM seems impressive?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by TheFox:
[qb]Sorry Vigge - are you saying that it is better or worse than expected?  Certainly the torque peak at 420NM seems impressive? [/qb][/b]
It really depens on the case. Under the years I have seen derivation to one way or the other. In more cases the values have been worse that promized. But we have to remember that dynos are different, so the best way is to test the car before and after to get a better picture.

I basically wanted to state out that one should not entirely trust the values provided by tuners.
In this case you can see that the torque curve has been tampered and the present peak is smoothed out. Besides the peak the curve looks about the same. Why has this been done? for marketing purposes, maybe I dont know.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aero

Im not dissapointed, I guess I just expected 43hp extra to feel somewhat more powerful. The speedparts is noticeably better although others have refereed to it as being "amazing", I think this is where other models have gone for the 65 upgrade as opposed to the 43hp we can get under our aero stage 1

Vigge - what does the graph mean !!! what hp did you finish up with.

Anyway its the rolling road for me in the next month. Theres one near York which sounds the dogs Bo**ocks

·
Registered
416 Posts
All this talk about upgrades make me want one too. I'm not after the detail that seems to be available, just the cheapest place to get it done. Do people charge a lot for fitting it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by greenphotos:

[qb]All this talk about upgrades make me want one too. I'm not after the detail that seems to be available, just the cheapest place to get it done. Do people charge a lot for fitting it?
   [/qb][/b]
Welcome to the board greenphotos

Speedparts seem recommended and good value. Stage 1 from Speedparts is in the region of £400-£500 for a 9000 giving 35-60 BHP increase (depending on model)

Others to consider are Abbott and Maptun

(These are the companies I've considered for my 9-3, but there may be others for your 9000. I'm sure some 9000 owners will be able to advise)

Originally posted by mushdaffer:
[qb]Im not dissapointed, I guess I just expected 43hp extra to feel somewhat more powerful.  The speedparts is noticeably better although others have refereed to it as being "amazing", I think this is where other models have gone for the 65 upgrade as opposed to the 43hp we can get under our aero stage 1
[/qb][/b]
mushdaffer I agree, we get a raw deal with tuning! I was saying to a friend today (who is considering chipping his Audi S3) that if I had a 2.0 lpt then I'd get much more
per buck from tuning
Having said that my Aero has kept me happy for a year so far, and has kept my mates S3 in check too (hee hee).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts