Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was going to get the Maptun stage1 upgrade now, but am seriously tempted to go the whole hog and get the stage 3 instead. I know I'll only end-up getting it eventually anyway.

My question is: Has anyone out there fitted the 3" exhaust included with this to a 9000, and if so, what do they think of it?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
382 Posts
i do have a maptun stage 3 ecu fitted to my 97 9ooo 2.o lpt. you do need the full 3" exhaust with downpipe and sports cat. i have also uprated the brakes, and fitted koni suspension and lowered the car with springs. in my opinion, it is a very good conversion, and you will end up with a very good, very fast safe car. having had mine converted for the last 7 months, i have had no problems to deal with. it is without doubt the best car i have owned, and in the right conditions, can be almost unbeatable on the road.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Mark,
The exhaust is the 3" JT that a lot of us have got fitted to our 9000's.
I can think of almost 10 Aero owners alone that frequent this board with this system fitted....

Ckeck out BillJ's Saab9000 website for a good guide to fitting the JT system+d/pipe+sport cat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all of your replies.

Peter and Aeropilot - you've put my mind at rest over the exhaust system. I also had a look at BillJ's article on the exhaust and now my mind's made up - it's gotta be done.

Now all I've got to do is impatiently sit here until I have enough pennies....

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Sorry to gate crash guys!

My 9-5 has a Maptun Stage 2 with BSR 2.5" cat back exhaust. If I move up to the Stage 3, (Remap and 3" exhaust) do I really need to replace the nearly new 2.5" with the 3". I would change the downpipe for a 3" and race cat, but is the 3" from cat back essential

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I believe that I'm right in saying that if you do a Maptun Stage 1 upgrade now you can proceed to the other stages as you get the funds as a substantial part of the money spent to date is discounted from the next upgrade. May be the same with other tuners. Give Maptun an e-mail to check it out.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You could go for Speedparts and save some dosh (I think!). Check out results on the RR (see Emerald) for my car and Scaero's. Mine gave better bottom end grunt, though Scaero's was good top end. Ignore mine above 4600rpm, though as I developed a slight leak due to the cover on the nipple for the boost guage blowing off!

Of course, they are different cars as there is a couple of yrs between them. Makes for interesting reading, though.

Air fuel ratio was perfect, so no probs there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other question guys - did you upgrade your dump valve when you installed the MapTun (or any other manufacturers) upgrade and if so, which dump valve did you install?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cosmic Blue wrote:
I would change the downpipe for a 3" and race cat, but is the 3" from cat back essential[/b]
No, the amount of backpressure the turbo 'sees' past the cat' is relatively marginal and if the reduction in pipe cross section is smooth, then not much additional back pressure is created. I doubt that your butt dyno would ever be able to sense the difference between a full 3" system and one that was only 3" to the cat'. Also, it should be noted that one shouldn't correlate the amount of noise with a lack of back pressure. The supercharged mid-'60's Corvair had an extremely quiet muffler but had very little back pressure.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by robert lavergne:
[qb]Cosmic Blue wrote:  QUOTE
I would change the downpipe for a 3" and race cat, but is the 3" from cat back essential[/b]
No, the amount of backpressure the turbo 'sees' past the cat' is relatively marginal and if the reduction in pipe cross section is smooth, then not much additional back pressure is created. I doubt that your butt dyno would ever be able to sense the difference between a full 3" system and one that was only 3" to the cat'. Also, it should be noted that one shouldn't correlate the amount of noise with a lack of back pressure. The supercharged mid-'60's Corvair had an extremely quiet muffler but had very little back pressure. [/qb][/b][/quote]Not necessarily accurate about the cat-back ... any restriction causes a pressure drop across it. If you lower the pressure after the cat by X pounds of pressure, the same difference will occur before the cat, while the pressure drop remains constant.

However the rear exhaust section is not a restriction until very high power levels. I once removed it completely from my Viggen, felt no noticable difference at all. Then again it has two close coupled cats and a stock downpipe. On a 3" with sportcat a more noticable difference may be had with a better rear section.

Just my two cents ...

Dubbya~

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Cosmic Blue 9-5:
[qb]If I move up to the Stage 3, (Remap and 3" exhaust) do I really need to replace the nearly new 2.5" with the 3". I would change the downpipe for a 3" and race cat, but is the 3" from cat back essential    [/qb][/b]
Probably not, you'll just have to fudge the connection from the end of the 3" race cat to mate to the 2.5" system....

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
For the record, I have a JT 3" downpipe and sport cat connected to a Hirsch Performance 2.75" cat-back system using an appropriate connector b/w the JT and the Hirsch systems. It is not a fudge

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Peter,

Any reason why you bought the re-circulating dump valve rather than the atmospheric?

The reason I ask is that someone told me that Atmospheric Dump Valves can really screw-up the engine management and I wondered if there was any truth in this.

Not that I particularly want a loud whoosh noise announcing my presense to everybody in a half mile radius anyway, but I did wonder if Atmospheric Dump Valves offered slightly better perfomance.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by 9000Anni:
[qb]The reason I ask is that someone told me that Atmospheric Dump Valves can really screw-up the engine management and I wondered if there was any truth in this.[/qb][/b]
Peter's car is a Trionic 5 - the atmospheric DV works fine on this. There can be problems on running atmospheric DVs on pre-trionic turbocharged 9000s.

HTH

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John,

I'm a bit confused as I thought Peter said he had fitted a re-circulating dump valve rather than an atmospheric.

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts