Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ECU arrived, I had a bit of a problem with my turbo, but fixed that this morning, so I suppose you'd all like to know how it goes. Well, they say a picture paints a thousand words...

Time for a new avatar...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Time to put some fluid in your washer bottle as well.........                      [/qb][/b]
I'm sure it's one of Mark's weight saving measures

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Time to put some fluid in your washer bottle as well.........                               [/qb][/b]
True, the water injection is using it at an even greater rate of knots now

(edit) actually, it's OK at a steady speed- it's the sheer
of the acceleration that was causing the light to come on

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Er... whoops... a Trionic conversion for Saabine might be in order before I try to keep up with you folks... (actually, I just got off the 'phone with Johnny of Map Tun to investigate)...

Might want to extend the 'basic boost into reverse' T5 function to first and second, then.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
And there is me thinking that this gauge is faulty .

Only consolation is that there was more fuel in the tank than that of Mark

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Weren't it for the Firestone/Exploder disaster, methinks I'd gotten shares in Bridgestone by now

Oh wait - I can always buy up all stocks of sizes/compounds relevant to modified Saabs, and jack up the prices...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What are the BHP/lb figures, Mark? Looks very impressive indeed.

Is you engine still standard (save injectors), or have you had the head ported, new cams and verniers etc? Looks as if you might not need it, anyway!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
According to Map Tun's website, Stage 5 requires no internal engine mods (those come with Stage 6 - not that I would give anyone ideas about attempting that of course, but for the record it would bring you at 440 hp ). Anyways it says 3" sport system, race cat, 3 bar map sensor, turbo upgrade, actuator, injectors, and intercooler upgrade.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
and there was me looking forward to my stage one
I wish you 9000 boys would stop getting amazing bhp figures I feel soooooo much like small fry now

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Typical, isn't it. It's been wet today since not long after I fitted it.

But to answer the various questions:

How does it drive?
Well, the intial hit you in the back feeling is actually less than my previous set up (Abbott ECU, GT30 hybrid turbo). But then you realise that it just keeps on building and building... coming home tonight on some admittedly fairly ropey B roads (I travel the regularly), under maximum welly in 4th, it was suffering wheelslip. I've never yet experienced that.

The base boost setting is actually quite low (circa 0.5bar)- which is one of the nice things about acheiving these sort of levels by software rather than hardware control- if there were any sign of knocking, then it would back off. Maptun say that full APC control is retained.

The overall characteristic of the power/torque delivery is now more like an NA engine than previously; ie there's less boost lower down. It really steams ahead above about 3200.

What have I done to the engine?

I'm now running a T3/T28 roller bearing hybrid turbo. This is a fairly hefty beast and I would say there is more lag than the previous one- but that's to be expected. The roller bearings do, however, help to reduce that lag.

My exhaust system is a JT 3" downpipe, then Abbott SS the rest of the way. I particularly like the sound of the Abbott (I previously had the full system incl downpipe), but I've fitted the JT downpipe to make sure there's a healthy volume available for the initial post turbo exhaust gas expansion.

I took the injectors too to make sure I had adequate fuelling. When I spoke to Johnny, he didn't seem to think the 3 bar MAP sensor would be necessary.

I run an Aquamist 1S water injection system to help reduce temperatures, and also an Abbott intercooler.

As regards bhp/torque I'm not sure yet. I intend to get it dynoed soon, when I will check out EGTs & A/F ratio and suss out the optimum water injection nozzle size.

Maptun claim circa 340hp/365lbft... not so sure about it on mine, but time will tell...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts