Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I dynoed my 9-5LPT ( quite fast one ) yesterday here in Finland. Hardware specs:
- maptun stage 5 for 9-5 aero
- engine B235R
- std airbox and std air filter element

Maptun promises 340bhp/480nm for this kit. Dynoed results were 251KW ( 341bhp ) /5363RPM and 505NM / 4154RPM. Conclusions ?

A/F was appr. 12 in the upper range and a little bit richer in the mid range. Max peak boost was 1,3 bar, and boost in the upper range was 0,9 - 1,0 bar.

BTW, Dynoprint can be studied here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/speedou/95power.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]Nice!  

I'm interested that your peak boost is so low though. I've seen circa 490Nm from my 9000 at around 3300rpm, but that's with a peak boost of around 1.7 bar.      [/qb][/b]
Nice number 95Power

Bubbles,
Dyno room temp plays a big role how high the boost is on a T7 engine. I belive this car was dynod at a relatively low temp. Usually the deviation on boost is about +0.2bar when temp goes up from about +5deg C to +25Deg C.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[qb]Nice!  

I'm interested that your peak boost is so low though. I've seen circa 490Nm from my 9000 at around 3300rpm, but that's with a peak boost of around 1.7 bar.      [/qb][/b]
My car is LPT ( Low Pressure Turbo )

In T7 it's the matter of the air mass, not the boost. Naturally it depends of your hardware ( stage 5 uses mitsu's TD04 with 18T compressor and 6cm2 exhaust housing with planed turbine blades , high quality intercooler and bigger intake pipe from AMM to turbo ) and weather conditions ( air humidity, altitude, temperature ). At summertime peak boost can naturally be 1,5 bar instead of 1,3 bar.

BTW, recommended max boost for mitsu's TD04HL-18T/6cm2 which is in stage 5 is 1,5bar...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by pade900:
[qb]Nice figures there mate    
But you haven't got a chance to try out the car for real on the road yet ?!    [/qb][/b]
Actually one can not use - and does not need - all that power here in Finland during wintermonths

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by 95power:
[qb]My car is LPT ( Low Pressure Turbo )      

In T7 it's the matter of the air mass, not the boost. Naturally it depends of your hardware [/qb][/b]
It's not an LPT any more though!

In any car, it's the total mass of air/fuel that is important. Yes, T5 and T7 meter things differently, but that's not the point here.

The way you normally get more air in to the cylinders and thus more power/torque is by one or more of the following:

a) reducing the intake temp thus increasing the mass per volume density
B) increasing the input pressure
c) lowering the intake resistance
d) extending the intake duration

I've got a gas flowed T5 head, bigger intake, lower resistance intercooler etc- does a stock T7 head really flow that much better than a modded T5 or is there something else? The lower ambient air temps will obviusly help, but it still seems a very big difference.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi 95power,

I am very happy for you
I will add your dyno print to my collection and show it to the Hirsch boys to make´em jealous. I´ve always been a MapTun fan, but this is actually the first MapTun T7 program I know that really delivers the promised power (at least without multiple software revision to get there).

Yours,

Philip

@bubbles: I´ve more than 440 Nm at less than 1 bar of boost with Hirsch custom sw, and with the same hardware, I had 420 Nm @ 1.4 bar with MapTun Stage III software. It´s not only the boost that matters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by 95power:
[qb] My car is LPT ( Low Pressure Turbo )      

In T7 it's the matter of the air mass, not the boost. Naturally it depends of your hardware [/qb][/b]
It's not an LPT any more though!

In any car, it's the total mass of air/fuel that is important. Yes, T5 and T7 meter things differently, but that's not the point here.

The way you normally get more air in to the cylinders and thus more power/torque is by one or more of the following:

a) reducing the intake temp thus increasing the mass per volume density
B) increasing the input pressure
c) lowering the intake resistance
d) extending the intake duration

I've got a gas flowed T5 head, bigger intake, lower resistance intercooler etc- does a stock T7 head really flow that much better than a modded T5 or is there something else? The lower ambient air temps will obviusly help, but it still seems a very big difference. [/qb][/b][/quote]Dear Bubbles, that LPT was just a joke . What comes to boost, it's quite hard to compare them between T7 and T5. There are also many hardware differencies here.

But what I have here are the raw facts of my dynorun. Car was equipped with Maptun stage 5 hardware in B235R and it produced 341BHP and 505NM.

Maybe you used poor quality software uppgrade, or maybe there was some incompatibilities between your hardware and software. I do not know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by chris-edinburgh:
[qb]ylee coyote,
Where u getting it dyno'd, what power and torque are you expecting? [/qb][/b]
Maptun stage 5 promises the following output:
- power 340 BHP
- torque 480 NM

My 9-5 specs are:
- B235R ( MY2002 ) Engine ( total rebuilt )
- JE-forged pistons
- stiffer camshafts ( included in stage 5 )
- mitsubishi TD04HL-18T with 6cm2 exhaust housing and planed turbine wheels
- Bosch green injectors ( flow is 465/3.8bar )
- bigger intake pipe ( from AMM to turbo )
- MY1998 aluminium pressure/charge pipe
- balance shaft chain & tensioner removed
- MY2003 gearbox ( std )
- std air filter element and filterbox
- larger ( 70mm, 30cm length ) snorkel ( usually this is removed, but here in Finland we have plenty of snow... )
- Maptun intercooler ( in stage 5, very high quality )
- JT 3''-exhaust with racekat
- Maptun stage 5 software for 9-5 aero ( modified for car with one lambda sensor like mine is )

9-5 was dynoed at the company called Toijalan autosähkö here in Finland. Mr. Harinen has Bosch ( 4-wheel drives as well can be measured ) dynamometer and long experience of serious high power applications. This company has homepage in the following ddress: http://www.sci.fi/~hestec2/english/index.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts