Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going for a stage 1 upgrade to my 93 aero. I cant figure out from the small graphs! what the effect of three different suppliers (Maptun or Abbot or Elkparts) is , although Maptun appears the smoothest.
Has anyone got any subjective experiences they can pass on?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had the Speedparts Stg1 in my 9k Aero at one stage - Very good. Lots of boost sharper throttle response and buckets of torque - never faltered once.
Where Speedparts will give you a low down kick, Maptun I believe feeds the torque in slightly more smoothly and may keep the boost better higher up.

Also take a look at the upgrade paths even if you dont 'think' you will go above stage3. Maptun is very well organised in that respect.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had Speedparts (supplied by Elkparts) Stage 1 on my 93 aero.

Was extremely happy with it. It transformed the car with power kicking in around 4,000 at its best and running all the way to 6,000. The aero in standard form I found fairly flat 4,000 onwards. Speedparts made it drive completely different. very good value for money.

Maptun on the otherhand on my 95 Aero - stacks more torque and power very gradual kicking in around 3,000rpm.

Speedparts certainly felt faster than Maptun (for my cars) although Maptun is quick but deceptive.

I have no experience of Abbott ECU upgrades but did consider them on my 93 aero.

Go for it

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I think both Speedparts and Maptun are going to be pretty good, though I believe the boost often comes in harder on the Speedparts, so it can feel quicker. Really, it's down to price and if you want to go further stages, I believe you'll get very good rates for remapping with Maptun. I'd personally leave Abbott for ecu tuning as the Swedes do a much better job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had the dreaded blue smoke so Saab dealer fitted a new standard turbo and tightened the head down as I also had the tell tale oil weeping and gave it a service. Then I fitted Forge Dump valve and Speedparts stage 1, again supplied by Elkparts on my 2001 2.3lpt (185 bhp) and wow what a different car.Took it on an old private airfield and it shot up to 135 then I ran out of runway but not the smile.
My wife said if she needed a face lift just drive with me now

The cut out used to be at 6500 rpm now it goes all the way to 7000 and the torque stays on.
Took 10 mins to fit 45 to initialise then
Go for it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts