Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While recognising that any opinion given below is purely based upon that individuals personal experience of the company, and some may wish not to fully comment on their experiences due to perhaps their being in a legal discussion with the company, I wish to capture for the record everyone's experience with Maptun.

Please write a short note describing your inquiry, business or contact with Maptun and how sucessful that experience was for you.

This won't be used for any other purpose than education.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I contcted Maptun for one of their higher level packages... I told them the full spec of my car and they said they had suitable software.

The ECU and larger injectors arrived (good
overal post)w, and I got a continuous check engine light. From susbsequnet emai it was ossible to deduce thay my ECU had not beeen tested on a car.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Oops- dunno what went wrong there? Anyway I'll try again...

I contacted Maptun for one of their higher level packages... I told them the full spec of my car and they said they had suitable software.

The ECU and larger injectors arrived and I fitted them no probs but got a continuous check engine light, and also significant overboost (up to 2.2 bar, which I suspect was responsible for the demise of my 4th gear). From susbsequent emails it was possible to deduce thay my ECU had not been tested on a car. It went back to them (took another 3 weeks or so) and returned minus check light but still with overboost.

After a few more emails they decided that the overboost problem with my car was due to the turbo spec- which I had told them at the start. The ECU went back to them, the software was adjusted and I've now fitted it.

The overboost problem now seems to have been cured, but it's difficult to gauge the overall effect as in the meantime I've had a gas flowed head fitted.

They certainly seem to know their stuff though. I hear from a reliable source that they are are ex Saab Trionic engineers. Speedparts use them for their higher power upgrades...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have to say Mark, that I've heard this as well, also I believe, Maptun provide all the electronic/ECU stuff to Trollspeed, and of course they build and develop the mega-gee-gees Saab engines for Per Eklunds's Saab 9-3 4x4 rallycross cars, as well as the Pikes Peak special. As these vehicles are Saab factory sponsered, I think the link between Maptun/Trollspeed and the Saab factory is maybe a little greater than thought....
Confirmation of this anyone...????

·
Registered
40 Posts
ive found the maptun staff to be extremely helpful, professional, timely, knowledgeable, and honest. ive spoken to James ([email protected]), head of maptune usa (i think..) on the phone several times and he has not been able to give me an accurate price quote on the stage 5 for the 03 95 aero, but he consistently explained that it is because the exhaust system is being created... he said it should be done by august.
johnny ([email protected]) with maptune tech support is also quite accomodating.
i will be getting my 03 95 aero in august this year so until then is my research period. i would rather go with hirsch parts, however due to my location it is somewhat difficult. maptun is my choice as of now...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've dealt with Maptun on two occasions now. The first time was to buy a JT 3" exhaust system (complete with sport cat and downpipe). I spoke to Johnny and he was very helpful. I had to pay by direct bank transfer (I believe they now take credit cards) and after my bank screwing it up, it eventually went through and my exhaust was shipped directly from Speedparts rather than Maptun.

Although it may be a little crude, this is a very effective product and less than half the price of the equivalent product from Abbott that I'd been considering. While the Abbott system is stainless steel and guaranteed for life (or a very long time or something), the JT system is higher-performing and I could probably replace the cat-back part of the system a couple of times and still have paid less than the cost of the Abbott system.

About a year later I bought an ECU upgrade from Maptun, with which I am very happy. I started out by asking for what was then called the "Aero stage 2" upgrade (they have since re-labelled all their upgrades and this would probably be at least a Stage 3). While talking to Johnny on the phone (his English is excellent, which is just as well because I don't speak Swedish at all), it became apparent that many things were customisable. I was able to ask for no boost limit in 2nd gear (they programme a limit by default to protect the transmission) and also gave him a vague request for more low-down torque.

I obtained a spare ECU from the US (thanks, Bob) as it was not only cheaper than one from the UK, but nobody here seemed to want to sell me one without knowing which part number I wanted. Even Two-Stroke to Turbo, who deal with Abbott Racing, couldn't accept that any '94-on Trionic 5 ECU would do as it was going to be reprogrammed.
They insisted that I needed an Aero ECU and wanted to charge an arm and a leg.

Anyway, I sent the ECU off and paid by direct bank transfer (again) and my bank screwed up (again). Once they finally had my money, Maptun dispatched my ECU very promptly and I received it at work. I fitted ti in my lunch hour, but was getting a "check engine" light and base boost only.

I e-mailed [email protected] (Johnny) and we engaged in a lengthy exchange well into the evening until Johnny realised that they'd given me US-spec. software that expected a second lambda sensor after the cat. I think the US part number on the ECU might have confused them. He sent out another ECU, with instructions to keep the one I had until I was happy that the replacement was working correctly. It was (very correctly indeed
) and I returned the first one.

Performance-wise, this ECU is a belter. The torque I asked for is all there - over 310lbft all the way from 2500-5000 RPM. Torque peaks at 330lbft at 3000RPM and peak power was measured at 305hp at 5500RPM. The car goes like the proverbial manure off a spade and the other week, I was able to keep up with Alan B's Aero which has the Speedparts upgrade and then some bodgy mechanical mods to give it masses of power and torque.

For a car running the standard Aero turbo and fuel system, it surprises (and embarrasses) "serious" sports cars on track days (names like Porsche, Ferrari and TVR spring to mind). Maptun must share the credit for this with Abbott Racing, whose suspension upgrades are fitted to the car. The fact that my car only has one significant mechanical power upgrade - the JT exhaust - probably contributed to the success of the ECU upgrade. I'm sure Maptun will have had access to a similar car for testing.

If there is one thing I'd criticise Maptun for, it's their e-mail response. Although I managed to get e-mail support quickly when the first ECU didn't work as expected, I have found that e-mail sales enquiries often go unanswered. A phone call to Johnny got things moving very quickly and he admitted that their e-mail often piled up. He agreed that the best way to get a quick response from them is to phone them.

I'd agree with Mark that they really seem to know what they're doing. I don't know that they have, or have ever had, any relationship with Saab. From what I can tell, they're just a couple of very bright enthusiasts who have figured out the Trionic system(s). Fredrik, the software guy, really is just a software guy, I believe. He has developed their Trionic upgrade system in-house and I'm told it's very impressive. Perhaps someday soon, I'll get a chance to take my car over there for the next upgrade and see their operation for myself.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Leon (9-5 stg2):
[qb]After some recommendations for maptun, I contacted them via email in late april, with the view to get some custom tuning, as this seems to be one of thier specialties..
I'm still waiting for a response!  
     :rolleyes:  [/qb][/b]
Give them a call and I'm sure you'll be sorted out in no time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts