Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1992 9000 2.3 CSE Turbo 5sp 172k.
It has not gone unnotced that in recent weeks that the gearbox has developed a bit of a whine. This had always been there,quietly, in 2nd gear, since I've had the car, on deacceleration. The whine is now there in all gears, but louder it must be said, and more so in second where it has also become a bit 'knocky' in sound, too, similar that you might get from the power steering pump on full lock, or a knackered ac compressor. I also reckon that the syncromesh is not so good or easy at is once was.

What is the concensus? Is the gearbox on the way out in the short term? Would it make economic sense to replace?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Dont talk to me about pinion bearings!!!

Is the noise only there when you decellerate or is it there on acceleration too? Does the pitch change with wheel speed? Is it there out of gear?.

I had to have my pinion bearings, diff bearings and clutch done and it topped £700 and involved a new main drive shaft and 5th gear.... Sorry to sound depressing about it - just prepare yourself for a hefty bill.

Have you checked the gear box oil for its level and colour - low oil or contaminated oil can lead to noise ... but then again so can a worn synchromesh.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.