Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with the manual gearbox. I have a wierd fault - it began when I stopped and put the car in neutral then it was impossible to put the car into any gear. Forcing the car into gear by levering the linkage seemed to free up the problem and the car ran fine. The problem has returned intermittently but on other occassions runs fine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What's the mileage on this gearbox? Mine has done over 190k miles & is showing signs of wear. (Not surprisingly). I suspect the problem is just wear & tear on the synchros. Especially if your box has covered some distance.

The problem might be the joints in the linkages so you might want to check the bushes for wear too. Let us know the distance it's covered.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I had this problem after power-cleaning the engine bay after a oil leak,i cured it by lubricating the linkage that can be seen behind the engine on the left-hand side,if I remember correctly,there is a shaft that goes into a apparently blind hole,by pealing back gaiters and applying libral amounts of oil and grease,the problem was solved and has not returned in nearly three years.
Having said that,whats the betting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I should have mentioned that when the fault first occurred, I couldnt get any gear even with the engine off. I cant help wondering if this rules out clutch problems. Yet another time that I was driving it I found it difficult to get gears as if there was air in the clutch. This mysteriously disappeared the next time I used it but couldnt get first or second until the car got rolling then it was perfect after that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the point of contact remains where it's always been (you have to lift your foot & clutch pedal some distance from the floor) before you feel the engine side start to engage with the gearbox then I don't think your problem is clutch related. That's more likely to be linkage/gearbox related. If point of contact is as soon as you start to lift off the clutch then it could be air in the system or a leak of sorts. If the pedal can travel a distance before point of contact is made then surely the clutch is doing what it's designed to do & sounds to me to be working fine.

The fact that rolling the car seems to have previously helped you get in gear then that suggests that the problem is not related to the linkages.

I suspect (from what I've read) that the problem is indeed gearbox related.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts