Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Manual conversion??

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FoeCom 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been thinking about doing my timing chain for a while now, and have decided to lift the engine out to do that and maybe a few other things. I heard a lot about how the gears and guides wear as much as the chain does. Some people have told me that replacing the transmission is not that difficult once the engine is out (and neither is engine removal!). Would it be worth a shot if I managed to obtain a manual parts car of the same engine/transmission design as my car , or is there just too much modification involved in the conversion. I've got a long vacation coming up so I'm trying to plan out my quality time with the Saab. My car is a 1991 9000 CD turbo AUTOMATIC . As to my mechanical skill, I've replaced alternators, valve cover gaskets, rear shocks, thermostat, rebuilt the rear calipers, fit new tie rod ends, and of coarse all of the usual maintence related work, on various cars. But never removed an engine! Any advice appreciated!

#4 ·
Wow maybe I won't be stuck with an auto! If the mounting points are the same then I imagine the only confusion would come in getting the shifter up into the interior. I did notice the manual shifter and boot fit in the exact place that my automatic shifter is located. Also a lot of trouble getting the clutch master cylinder and the pedal in place?
ylee, maybe some differences in the flywheel and starter? I couldn't find anything about it on SaabScene.

#8 ·
Quasi has a couple of notes (not sure how useful they are) here. Brief enough to quote:

[qb]
HMR says:
"On the engine side of the intermediate axle bearing support is a cast mark "A" or "M", for AT or 5sp."   This was for an 88 9000.

Dave says:
"The drivers side axle is slightly longer on the 5spd."  
He also points out that the two wires to the automatic's neutral safety switch have to be shorted together to allow the car to start.
[/qb][/b]

#9 ·
Thanks everyone! Quasi should be a pretty good general reference through this. I imagine I'll be saying "never again" too. I would like to be sure about the model years I'm looking for though, 1991 and 1992? I belive the engine/transmission change wasn't until the end of 1993, so does that make early 1993 a possibilty? Also I'm assuming only turbo models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.