Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I'm new to this, and fairly new to Saab.
I currently drive a 1987 9000 turbo hatchback. I was checking out this site today at work, and thought I should register and throw out my first question....
First of all, this car is not in great shape, and doesn't run tip top, but it is quick, and when it works, it works well. I've noticed though, that in the last little while, I'm getting nice boost pressure when the car is cold (first few minutes after start-up). But when I'm hard on the throttle for the first few minutes (10 max), it seems to lose mostly all of the boost until the RPMs hit around 4000-4500.That's in every gear. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?
Thanx much,
Tony

·
Registered
155 Posts
aint it a bit dangerous boosting when cold, as engine not warmed up enough, my mates got a 900 T 8V, and he cracked his head doing this, you havent said what you have checked so far, and how much boost you are getting, so start from the begining...

i would check plug gaps, probally not too much of an issue, as you wont have a di pack, check ALL vaccum hoses, and replace any that look suspect, check dump valve operation, to check the valve, apply vacuum to the vacuum line going to the valve. If you can't get vacuum to hold on the line and the line is not cracked, the valve is bad and should be replaced.

hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tommy,
Just to clarify...I'm not leaving the driveway with my foot to the floor, btu a few miuntes after is when i'm a little hard on it.
In answer to your question though, I have relaced a couple of cracked hoses, and checked all other lines and can't find any other cracks.
I will look further at any "hidden" vacuum lines and see what I can find again, and also what you were describing about the dump valve. Oh and by the way,....The boost guage goes up to just under 1/4 boost, and then when the rpm's reach 4000-4500, full boost kicks in (just under red on my car).
Does this clarify anything for you?
Thanx for the feedback.
Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.