Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main beam disappeared last night. When I flicked the column switch onto main the only thing that happened was the dipped beam lights dimmed a little. There was no failure on the pictogram (and no blue main beam warning light). Previously when the red relay failed the pictogram showed the main beam failure. The flash also does not work when the lights are off. Is this an indication of failure of the column stalk or are there other things I should check first (trying other avenues as the column switch also has the cruise controls and is bound to cost a fortune).
Car is '94 CSE LPT. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
it's the headlight control module failing: it looks like a relay (orange, i think) and you'll find it in a supplimentary fuse / relay box under the bonnet, near your battery. everything's clearly labelled.

the soldered contacts inside dry out. i fixed mine by prising the lid off (break the small tabs off the underside) and the crack in the solder joining one of the 'legs' to the pcb was visible, so i re-soldered it and glued the lid back on - fully functional and back on the road inside 20 minutes.

...or just get a new one, i suppose.

Carl

·
Registered
276 Posts
Or a failure of the wiring earthing the circuit to make the relay operate. It was a tiny nick which had corroded out over the years - probably since new.

As a result I have a spare headlight relay and a spare indicator/column switch unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.