Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing an auto box oil change tonight (91' 9000) and forgot to put in the little magnet in the bottom of the metal plate for the filter,do I really need it,can it wait till the next change although I now it wont be for a loooooong time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Strongly advise that you have it there. Auto box internals should be kept as clean as possible.
I don't know how low the filter is in relaton to the oil level but you may be able to remove the filter plate with minimal oil loss if you lift the front of the car high.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It is prudent to return that magnet to its place in the filter cover; it collects all the nasty metal bits in the tranny, although you will lose most of the oil, you have the benefit of having the oil from the torque converter mixed with the recent new oil and changed again will improve the oil quality in the tranny (meaning....when you normally change the tranny oil, half of the old oil remains in the torque converter, by changing again, you are effectively ensuring the old half which mixed with the new is now being diluted further with more new oil!)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh well!,I guess that anwers that,I'll do it today I'll have to go and more anyway.
The guy in Saab gave me 4 litres but it isn't enough,but I see what mean about draining/refiling well that's not bad I'll get a clean container,very clean!!.
Mind you I better not tell them in Saab what I'm doing,cause you know the answer I'll get there!!,cheers guy's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jon

FYI . . . . .

ATF in 1 litre bottles = £6/ltr
ATF in 25 litre can = £1.50/ltr !!!!
!!!!

I've just bought 25ltr and am using it to flush a 'box through. As mutungi says you can only ever change about 1/2 the ATF at a time so its worth doing it several times.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Jon, do not try to salvage the used oil....just replace with new! Well worth the £25.00 or so extra.
Gadgeteer....where did you manage to get the 25l ATF from? Is it good quality stuff? I have an auto and with the 25l supply at hand, I would change my tranny oil every 7.5K or so.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hello john, yes mutungi is correct in saying change the oil again, as there will always be some old oil left within the torque converter, replacing with new will dilute the oil further, unless you plan to the the box hooked up to a dialysis machine, where all the old oil is flushed out the system.

IMHO change the oil, job done

all the best

teesside saab

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mutungi,

Got the ATF from XL in Raynes Park. Its Dexron so I'm happy to use it.
I got the last barrel but I'm sure they'll have got more by now.

Did you watch that video? Any good to you??

Cheers, Gadgeteer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ATF can be bought in motor factors ( not halfords )in 5 litre cans. I normally use 'Comma'DexronII grade. It's about £9 per can I think. I never buy any oil in silly little 500mil or litre bottles.....outrageous prices.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Gadgeteer,
Thanks for the films...most informative, I will drop off the NTSC tape this week. Because of the World Cup footy, cricket, tennis, etc., I have yet to see the complete film. I will drop the other one off in a couple of weeks or so, hope that is OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts