Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 9000 2.0 LPT and wonder if anyone has an answer for the following problems:-
1. The engine occasionally runs lumpily with considerable power loss.There is no particular pattern to this although it seems to happen either at start up or when stopping at lights etc.It takes a few miles to go (either gradually or with a sudden surge of power).It happens more often in wet weather. I have read comments re head gaskets (I have done 90k on the original) but is this a symptom?
2.I seem to be getting through drivers side headlamp bulbs very quickly.What is the likely reason?

·
Registered
46 Posts
have u got traction contol (TCS) ?
I had a similar problem - problem on start up & sometimes loss of power when stopping then moving off again & while moving - loss of power, I would have foot to the floor to get going, turbo wouldn't kick in as rpm too low, sometimes suddenly corr itself & nearly end up in car in front (full blown turbo kicks in) - problem was intermitent - fly by wire technology at its best, car was going into "limp home" mode - had a valve replaced & sorted problem for a while, problem now is that my TCS has given up the ghost, need to replace throttle housing (painful), wish they'd put a switch on d'board so that turn it off like most recent modern cars!
if u haven't TCS, ignore above waffle

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a '94 9000CSE 2.3. I seemed to have had the same problem and what I think you might want to try is this. If you have automatic climate control turn it to econ when you turn the ignition on before you engage the starter. This is only for diagnosis. If this cures the problem you should take it to a saab dealer and let them them check out the ECM. In regards to drivers sidebulb, are you making sire that the bulb is clean and grease free. If you touch the bulb and leave finger prints it has a tendancy to blow quickly. Also, have you checked the voltage going to the bulb. If in excess of 13.5v-14.0v it is getting to much voltage

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
With the regard to the lumpy running - I've no idea.
The side light blowing is more likely to be due to vibration or a poor connection. How well does the bulb fit in it's socket?
Greasy finger prints are only a problem with halogen bulbs, ordinary bulbs don't get hot enough and work on a different principle.
Over voltage is also very unlikely. If the voltage at the side light bulb is too high then the voltage at every other point on the car will also be too high. The voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at about 2,000 rpm should be about 13.6V - 14.2 V. The further from the battery, the lower this voltage is likely to measure due to resistance in the wiring, electrical connectors, switch contacts, earth connections, etc. If the voltage is too high it may indeed cause the side light bulb to blow but I think you would also notice other bulbs blowing frequently and battery boiling dry.

·
Registered
865 Posts
this sounds familiar,ive been there/try this.1/remove elec.plug from idle control valve,reconnect/engine will stall,dont worry/icv is located on or between inlet manifold. 2/remove d.i. cassette,red bit on top of spark plugs,check there is no oil deposits on plugs ,if there is d.i. is b......./new one requ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts