Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I fired up the car, it was reluctant to start and once started seemed to be firing on only 3 cylinders for the first 20 seconds or so before falling to a smooth idle. It's had a recent DI cassette and alternator last September, the battery is about 18 months old, but the trip to work is a short one! Where should I start looking?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't want to be a bearer of bad news but I'd be looking at the headgasket. Do the usual checks for oil in the coolant and vice-versa. When you park the car up for the night loosen the coolant filler cap to release the pressure and see if it starts any better in the morning. If the headgasket is leaking water is forced into one (or more) of the combustion chambers by the pressure in the cooling system when the engine is switched off. That pressure might be more than normal due to the gasket leak anyway. By loosening the cap the pressure is released stopping coolant flowing into the cylinder, hopefully allowing an easier starting and if it does start better proves that this is the problem. If it makes no difference it might be something else. Perhaps a leaking fuel injector is allowing excess petrol to gather in one cylinder. I'm less inclined to think it is electrical but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head gasket was changed in September when the chains were done. It's just had a new rad fitted as I was losing coolant and there was a small amount of steam coming off the rad, particularly noticeable on colder mornings. It hasn't been losing any oil and the oil doesn't seem to be polluted in any way.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it seemed fine this evening, started OK and no white smoke from the exhaust to suggest a head gasket problem. One thing my old man pointed out to me, was that he had moved the cars around on the drive yesterday, i.e. it had been started and stopped without running for a few minutes ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts