Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A part from a rather boring subject, I'm now looking for a Limited Slip Differential (what did you think, I was talking about )

I was browsing the "net" for LSDs and found this:

http://www.phantomgrip.com/

They got it for SAAB
Year(s):86-93
Make/Model:Saab 9000, 900 turbo
Part #:910-GOLD
Retail Price: $349.00

Has anyone tested it?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
cannot see how it works
the website is big on bluster and suspiciosly short on detail....
where is it fitted
to what
etc etc

it just seems too cheap !!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Damien Shulock has it on his Trionic 5- converted 900 SPG - in fact they took his differential for developing this particular application.
Technically (er, not very
), it's not a limited slip diff in se, but rather a thingy that converts your existing open diff into a limited slip.

Now Damien is a very serious trackday driver, and the few miles he drove Saabine at a rather less blistering pace gave me some valuable insight into the car's working, so I tend to take his experience pretty much as a gospel.

He's already done a trackday with the Phantom Grip and he was kind of impressed. At first he was unsure whether it actually worked, but there have been quite a few situations since on the rrad as well as on the track where both wheels were pulling him out of curves strongly where before he would lose grip on one side, and as a result traction force on the other.
The most important thing here however is that it doesn't seem to interfere with normal driving in terms of torque steer and sudden breakaway, something that I'm quite worried about with 'normal' LSD's. Appaerently the action of the Phantom Grip is pretty unobtrusive.

The fact it comes with a lifetime warranty is an added bonus - I've heard of other inexpensive solutions that the shims/friction plates wear away quite quickly, necessitating more or less frequent rebuilds - something I'd rather not do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>ylee coyote
it works by adding tension and friction on the inner piniongears of the differential.

The only thing i worries about is how much metal grinds off the piniongears during the "LSD-mode".

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi,
This may fall under the "stupid question" catagory but I have the seen the application at the website and it makes no mention of auto or manual. So with that in mind, does anyone know if this will work with my auto? I love the price and really hope I can hook it up!! Much

Regards,
John

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just to let everyone know....I received a reply from PhantomGrip on my email question about whether their system would work with my auto.
They state that I would need to send the differential to them for proper fitment so apparently it can be done! The bad news, of course is that I would be without my only means of transport while they were working on it. I wonder if I could find one second hand, send them that one and simply r&r once it arrived?
Hmm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts