Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is or are the identifying marks of an LPT as compared with a full pressure? I'm getting conflicting advice here.

Mine has a 3 way solenoid operated device (APC?) mounted on the radiator bracket on the NS of the car. Also has an intercooler but have been told that this must have been retro fitted as is a Dec 93 car. Log book says B204S. Cannot see any sign of Idle control valve near throttle body or under plenum/manifold.

Car feels somewhat quicker than 150BHP and I am wondering if it has been made up to full pressure spec.

·
Registered
383 Posts
LPT = Smile
FPT = Broad Smile

If looking to buy, I wouldn't go stricty on whether there's a Boost Guage fitted whether it's a LPT, FPT/Aero. Anyone with any kind of degree of mechanical competence can replace the dash clocks with one that either has or does not have a boost guage.

If you suspect it may have been upgraded, whip the false bulkhead off over the scuttle panel & see if the ECU looks to be original or after-market. Or at least fiddled with. How dusty is in comparrison to tother bits in there??

More worryingly, check the lines from the APC solenoid for a mechanical (ball & spring) boost valve which, whilst fooling the actuator into thinking there's not enough pressure to "waste" boost, won't protect the car from detonation (knock) & subsequently, & possibly, extensive engine damage, nor will it protect against fuel cut like an ECU upgrade would. The parts for one of these can be bought for twenty quid. I tell you this as this is obviously a very cheap & cheerful way of performance tuning a forced induction engine. It's worth checking this hasn't been installed then.

HTH
Mally

·
Registered
300 Posts
smile, big smile. I like it.

Also, if you aren't sure what a turbo looks like check the following:

Find the battery, across from it you will see a RED area on top of the engine. The red item is the DI cassette, the spark plugs hide underneath it. Between the battery and the RED DI is a tube that comes towards the front of the car and then turns downwards to the bottom of the engine. It's about the same diameter as a soda pop can. If the tube is Silver and Metalic this is a Turbo. If there is a turbo gauge in the dash you have an HPT. If no gauge it's an LPT.

*IF* the tube is black, may be plastic, may have accordian sections in it, it's most likely not a turbo.

This may seem like a dumb statement, but I've seen a**wipes here in the states that have tried to sell 9K's non-turbos as LPT ("yep, no boost gauge but it's still a turbo because they are LPT variant") and trusting types went with it...

I tried to explain it in simple obvious terms (without using a picture), any added help appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.