Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 9000CD Eco Auto which has both an intercooler and an APC valve. Does this mean that mine is a full turbo without a boost gauge? Certainly seems fast enough for a full turbo!
I'd seen posted somewhere that Saab fitted FPTs to the last of the 9000 Eco's, so perhaps I've got one? Can anyone substantiate this rumour?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nothing wrong with an lpt - but get the ECU modified (by the usual suspects, eg abbott, speedparts, maptun, etc). Quicker spoolup = less lag than an FPT, so a modified lpt is extremely drivable with less lag.

I can compare having driven 2 litre (though no 2.3)versions of standard lpt, abbotted lpt, and a full turbo version, and of those I prefer the abbotted lpt -less lag, more shove, = loads more . I would expect the same proportional results on 2.3 versions of the same.

You can probably pick up an lpt for less than a full turbo in either size, it'll be almost as comfortable inside (no aero seats, , but you can always search a scrappy), and, more importantly, it's less likely to have been thrashed towards an inch of it's life.

Upgrading the ECU need not cost much - £500 - £600 top, depending on who you choose and the exact model/year (later is better, eg 96 MY on) - so given an LPT is likely cheaper to buy in the first place there isn't a whole lot of cost difference IMHO, and there's less lag than on an FPT, which must be a good thing.

This'll probably be an unpopular opinion though, I expect a few dissenting posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
AFAIK then almost up to the end of production "ECO" meant "LPT." But didn't SAAB decide to call all turbo engines "ECOPOWER" units irrespective of whether lpt or fpt versions ? So I describe mine as an lpt rather than an eco to avoid confusion even though when built the two meant the same thing.

It is confusing, but the only way I know to be sure is to look fot the appropriate under bonnet bits and check out whether there's a boost gauge or not in the usual place. Or use Bill J's VIN decorer thingy perhaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts