Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 2.0ECO out a drive today aftern not driving it for a couple of weeks. It seems to be a bit lacking.. OK I've been driving a 2.3FPT auto so there is about 50-60 less BHP but in a couple of places I was really wondering if my boost was actually running. For example I was driving abcj into Cheltenham and the road rises to go over the motorway and I had a major problem accelerating from 60 to 70 as I went up the slope which is not really that steep.

So how do I check for boost on an LPT without an clever tools and gauges?

Steve

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]So how do I check for boost on an LPT without an clever tools and gauges?[/qb][/b]
Buy a stupid gauge?
If you suspect a boost problem, then I know of no other way of confirming it than fitting even a cheap gauge (like the boy-racer ones that are supposed to mount in the dash).
Otherwise, you could check the wastegate actuator is connected, that the bypass valve holds vacuum and try a known good DI cassette. Does it show any tendency to stall when coming to a stop?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No hint of stalling before it comes to a stop.. new DI cart about 8000 miles ago.

Guess I need to go and check the actuator - is this easy to check from above or is it an axle stand job?

Steve

·
Registered
778 Posts
Stephen, it's easy to check the waste-gate rod.
First, wait 'til everything cools down - at least
a half-hour - then, grab the waste-gate rod,
from above (it's visible right between the
exhaust manifold and the turbo) and see if
it feels 'free'. The rod attaches to the waste
gate via a pin and couple arrangement - what
usually happens is the lock-pin disintegrates
with time and allows the rod to slide off the
large pin. To repair this, I've found it best to
approach from beneath the vehicle......good luck!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a unit at the right hand end of the turbo with a vacuum hose on it. This metal cylinder has a rod running off it that runs down beteen the body of the turbo and the engine. At the left hand end of the turbo (i.e. opposter end to the air intake) the rod ends.. but is not connected to anything.

So does that mean the waste gate is stuck open?

Steve

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
At the left hand end of the turbo (i.e. opposter end to the air intake) the rod ends.. but is not connected to anything.[/b]
There's your problem . Easy to fix (happened on my LPT too a while back). Either pop another 'R' clip on or put a split pin through and bend it right round for added security. You'll need to put the car on stands to get under and do it but once under all will become V. clear. 5 minute job

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I can pick up a suitable R clip at Halfords?

I checked to an obvious place for the rod to connect to but couldn't find anything obvious on the turbo.. there did seem to be something loose on it but a quick feel (ooherr missus!!) didn't reveal anything that felt like it could link to the rod

Time to phone a friend and borrow his ramps I guess.

Steve

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]Time to phone a friend and borrow his ramps I guess.

Steve [/qb][/b]
Errrmmm... have you ever tried getting a 9000 up ramps
? It ain't gonna happen unless you add about another 600-800mm of "pre-ramp" to any ramps I've tried, as the overhang on the front of 9000s is so long.

It's going to need a jack and axle stands or a high kerb with a driveway adjacent to it to act as a run up.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
[qb]I guess I can pick up a suitable R clip at Halfords?

I checked to an obvious place for the rod to connect to but couldn't find anything obvious on the turbo.. there did seem to be something loose on it but a quick feel (ooherr missus!!)  didn't reveal anything that felt like it could link to the rod

Time to phone a friend and borrow his ramps I guess.

Steve [/qb][/b]
Try this link to my site, I've got a couple of close-ups of my 900 Turbo, and you can see where the wastegate is connected.
Turbo Pictures

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm - I couldn't feel that bit sticking out from the wastegate.. although there did seem to be something a bit loose there.

Guess I shall have to shell out for a set of axle stands.

Steve

·
Registered
370 Posts
 Errrmmm... have you ever tried getting a 9000 up ramps    :eek:   ? It ain't gonna happen unless you add about another 600-800mm of "pre-ramp" to any ramps I've tried, as the overhang on the front of 9000s is so long.

It's going to need a jack and axle stands or a high kerb with a driveway adjacent to it to act as a run up. [/QB][/b]
As a matter of interest what sort of ramps / jacks / hoists (in domestic not commercial garages) are people using? Is there such a thing as a drive on jack / lifter?

deebel

ps should this be a new thread?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I use a trolley-jack that my dad bought about 30 years ago
and axle-stands from Halfords. I would love a set of ramps, but to work with my Aero they'd have to be nearly as long as my garage!

For the amount of work I do on my cars, I suppose I really ought to fork out a few quid for a jack that goes very low and has a high lift. That would make it easier to lift the whole front or rear of the car in one go.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]For the amount of work I do on my cars, I suppose I really ought to fork out a few quid for a jack that goes very low and has a high lift. That would make it easier to lift the whole front or rear of the car in one go. [/qb][/b]
Bill

My mate has a couple of ex-army screw jacks (internal geared)which he uses for his landrover. The great thing about them is they have a square footprint about 10" x 10" and start out fully wound down very low but extend about 2.5 times. Very stable and are rated over 2 tons. Also being screwjacks he doesnt need axle stands - the jack won't collapse.

He got them from an army surplus supplier - really cheap. Was thinking of trying to get some.

deebel

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I decided to take the lazy option and get it done at the local garage at the same time as my MOT.

The guy there asked me if the pin was still on the waste-gate. When I was grubbing round trying to find things I couldn't feel a pin sticking off the wastegate (but the photos on Neils site indicate there should be one).

So now I am confused.. have I lost the clip AND the pin ? (if indeed it is possible for the pin to get list) and if I have lost the pin is it something a normal garage can get hold of easily or is it an "order in advance" part?

Steve

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The centre core section normally has a small plate on it with the model.

The exhaust and impeller castings normally have their own labels too.

My TD04-HL (cs aero) core has a 0.48 impeller A/R casting and a F5?? exhaust casting.

Andrew.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts