Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '97 9000 LPT, currently on 190 BHP after the Abbott ECU upgrade, planning on getting rid of the heat plate for another 15 BHP (according to previous posts), also looking at the exhaust upgrades (down pipes, etc), looks like that will take it up to around 220 BHP, what's the most BHP I can get out of this engine? (without destroying the gearbox and my credit card ).
Cheers,
Leo.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It's more likely that if you have the heatplate fitted, the Abbott upgrade is actually 10 or 15 hp down on the claimed 190hp. So removing the heatplate would more likely bring you up to 190hp from say around 175-180 at the moment.

As for how far you can take it, firstly, which LPT is it? 2.0 or 2.3? Either way, the turbo will be running out of steam much above 220-240hp and will also be working outside its specified working area, so will be quite highly stressed. With a bigger turbo and assuming the 2.3 engine, 300 hp is about the limit of the fuel system. Upgrade that and you can keep on increasing the power...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
BHP is not the ultimate measure of preformance, especially on a turbo car. If I assume that what you're really after it's lots of grin-inducing acceleration, then there's plenty of things that can be done to help reduce spool up times for example, like fitting free-flow filters and exhausts. These things effectively give you more usable "go" on the road without resorting to turning up the boost further, as they are removing losses from the system that have to be overcome to provide output.

Removing the the plate is one of the effective means of reducing losses.

Regarding output capability, the Maptun website indicates that a stock engine and turbo is good for around 260hp without fuelling mods.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked under the bonnet and the fuse box to the right mentions "heatplate", a previous post mentions "if it says it, you've got one", anyone know if the plate is clearly visible .

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Although it says 'heatplate' - there should also be a 60amp fuse there too if its really operational.
Also - if its been to Abbott, they may have already removed it.
The pics above will resolve your issue I reckon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts