Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,Jezmond

My car has a LPG-kit. It's a 9K CD, born is '91 now running towards the 300K km. It's a 200bhp. The kit is Italian, Bigas. It injects vaporised LPG into the engine, using the motormanagement of the car. Mine has got a single vaporiser, but I would recommend a double one for you, because you need more juice to feed your engine and I think my vaporiser is just right(nearly limited) for my car. I got my kit in Belgium, as you would expect.

Feel free to ask if you need more information.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

They suggested that I would need two injectors, which comes in at an additional cost as the normal ones only do up to 64bhp a cylinder. Unfortunate, but I think it may well give a significant power boost due to LPG being 108 RON!

Where have you fitted your LPG cylinder? If I went ahead with it, I would prefer to fit a doughnut under the boot floor, but am told that the tank would be way too small and I would have to raise the floor, which is not ideal.

I have been pondering LPG as a way of keeping costs down on motorway trips and justifying keeping my 9000 rather than getting a high output diesel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had a donut tank on my '93 LPT. It went under the boot floor and held 60litres, which allowing for the required "air" gap in the tank meant it would take approx. 45 litres ( or 10 gallons) of LPG to fill up. I found this OK, gave me about 180 miles at approx. 23-27mpg before empty light came on. Mine was a "toroidial" tank, ie with a hole in the middle. I'm told modern tanks don't have this and can therefore hold more juice.
Don't know if the extra octane gives more BHP 'cos LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol, hence lower mpg.
I got my kit from a company called Wellside Motors in Fife. I think they have a web-site and are now doing 300BHP
kits. Latest systems use multi-point ( ie 4 ) injectors.
The cylinder head on mine went but I've no idea if it was LPG related or not. Some systems now come with an automated upper cylinder lubricant ( coolant I suppose) injected automatically into the fuel stream for engines prone to valve seat burning on LPG. I haven't been able to ascertain if the 9000 is "weak" in this area or not.
Let us know the outcome. I may yet get my '97 Anni. done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, Jez

My tank is 100l and sits between the wheels.
If you want a doughnut under the boot floor, you can always cheat with the 80% restriction valve. If you bend it or cut off the little bouy, you get a 100% fill. Just be cautious in the summer. If you know you will be travelling a long distance, you can fill her up completely, but don't leave her to long in the sun or the safety valve will give you a boot full of LPG.

The lubricant Wulbert is talking about, is to lubricate the valve seatings, because LPG is a very dry combustion. Recommended on a 300bhp car.

Your car will loose some power riding on LPG, cause it has a lower caloric value as to petrol.
But the switch from LPG to petrol is very simple, a push on a button and then you've got full power.

I've not heard of multi point injectors yet, but I imagine the system do exist.

Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by Voxan2001:
[qb]You can always cheat with the 80% restriction valve. If you bend it or cut off the little bouy, you get a 100% fill. Just be cautious in the summer. If you know you will be travelling a long distance, you can fill her up completely, but don't leave her to long in the sun or the safety valve will give you a boot full of LPG.[/qb][/b]
What a singularly imaginative way of making a car bomb! Remind me not to get a lift in your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.