Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had aero spec suspension fitted to my CSE, I noticed a massive difference in the way the car handled, but, the car still rolled quite a bit and there was a massive gap between the wheels and the wheel arch (I run 17's with 215/45)

I have today uprated the springs only (the shocks having only covered 2K), using AVO springs , lowered by 35mm, the difference in handling and roll is amazing (hardly any) but, the rears have settled nicely, the front has lowered but still looks a little high compared to the rear, I have read that it can take a while for the car to settle on new springs, am I worrying unduly or should I be taking the car back for rechecking ?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've had my abbott springs for about 1 1/2 months and the rears were quickly spot on but the fronts have been slowly drifting downwards over this period.
It took a cross country blat with 5 in the car to get the fronts down a bit, but they are still a bit too high.
Suggest you keep the receipt and let them settle for a month or so.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the abott/koni setup, which was on the car when I bought it

The suspension has had considerable time to settle and the car sits nicely, I have 215/40 17"s and although there is room round the wheels it in no way looks out of place.

From experience adjusting the koni's, they all seem to take a little while to bed in/settle.
So I would go with it for a little time.

Dulux

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed AVO today, there response to me was to go over a few speed humps at speed !

I will give it a few weeks and some miles and see how it settles down, the back has settled down nicely and is fine, its just the front that looks about 10-15mm higher

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like a [expletive deleted] recommendation to me, speed bumps at speed?????

I take speed bumps with real caution, don't fancy grounding out precious stainless exhaust, my car is low enough already.

I think some spirited driving may be the way forward.

Best thing witha lowered car, wait till you have to get a jack under the front! especial if you got a nice big trolley jack= no chance.

Enjoy

Dulux

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their recommendation didnt go down to well with me, Ill send them the bill for my mega expensive exhaust when its left on the road !

My wife says its the only thing that slows me down on the roads is speed humps, I have also been over cautious across them.

Spirited driving down the lanes sounds like a better idea, although the lanes are a bit dodgy with tree debris at the moment !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by saab90002.3t:
[qb]the rears have settled nicely, the front has lowered but still looks a little high compared to the rear, I have read that it can take a while for the car to settle on new springs, am I worrying unduly or should I be taking the car back for rechecking ? [/qb][/b]
Had the same problem don't worry they should settle after a while, as mine did.

Steve

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
To answer your question - my car was about the same height as yours at the front when they went on at first (abbott).
2k miles later, they are now just below the height of the Aero springs that came off, but still too high relative to the back

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no !, so I am going to have to get used to a nose up attitude then !

Such a shame cause it looks so naff, almost like my rear suspension is useless, but, it does handle a million times better though, with very little body roll

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well, I fitted the Eiback springs and the ride was way, way better. The rear is however far too low when carrying passengers and load
. So I have ordered some adjustable KONI's to make amends, after taking advise from previous posts on SSc. Actually, the shocks are already with the garage who is going to do the work for me. Just need to find the money to pay them first
I think that in the cases mentioned above, the switch to KONI shocks might be a good thing to consider

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would agree with it maybe being too low at the back, I have the long mudflaps and with only me in the car they scrape the ground when leaving my drive !

For now, I will stick the aero shocks on the car, as they were only fitted 6 weeks ago and will still have plenty of life in them

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 I emailed AVO today, there response to me was to go over a few speed humps at speed  [/b]
Not to be recommended as you could also do serious damage to your transmission.

Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just viewed your pics and that definately doesn't look right
However, I've got the Bilstein sprintline kit, which lowered the Aero by 30mm ish and to be honest it does look slightly lower at the back than the front, that apparently is just "how they are"! But the sill line should still be straight,I have about 20mm gap between front tyre and wheel arch, yours do look very high at the front IMO.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
161 Posts
You do need to consider the cars general dynamics here.

Very low front springs can ruin the whole thing. Firstly why do we use springs for handling improvements alone?

Our car enters a corner and the weight transfers to the outside wheels. If the weight distribution is equal we get equal weight transfer and the car remains, more or less, balanced. If we have a lot more weight at the front, we get more weight transfer at the front than we do the back. The tyres only have so much grip available, so what gets used constraining weight transfer cant be used for steering. In the case of a front heavy car we get understeer.

Our springs cheat the weight transfer, in a corner when weight tries to transfer from side to side it has to do so by compressing a spring before the chassis sees the load. If the front springs are softer than the rear, the rear springs carry more weight across than the front. If the fronts are harder they transfer more weight than the rear. this gives a way to influence the weight transfer and hence the handling balance of the car.

You will have stiffer front springs than rear, which is why the ass will sag!

However you cant alter ride height with a spring platform where the spring's under a high pre-load. If the damper is allready fully extended then thats the ride height you get. Most of us have no, or very little preload so we get droop as well as bump in the suspension.

real short springs at the front will destroy the geometry, definately affecting toe, camber, caster angle, steering inclination and possibly thrust angle.

Its not just a case of slapping shorter stiffer springs on.

I dont work for abbott or have any connection with them apart from being a past customer with a c900, I do know there suspension settings have been calculated with every setting imaginable. They concluded that the best spring type (appropriate to the 9K) would be around 15-20mm lower than standard. The "off the shelf" springs by outlets lowering the car by 35-40mm will most probably give adverse handling properties, if giving a aesphetic appeal.

I agree a car on the deck looks good, the 9K has high arches set into its wing anyhow and will be difficult to match something like a c900 for looks in those areas.

I personally wouldnt trust someone who concluded that the solution would be to chop 20mm off without a thought to geometry or ride. It sounds like they are just trying to shut you up!

Short sprigs will have a nasty spring rate, ie the load increae against movement. Are these springs linear or progressive?

Something to think about!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Incidentaly, I know of a guy who runs a c900 vert with uprated AVO springs who has eact the same problem with a high nose up attitude tho!

AVO could be doing something wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts