Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Was talking to Ed at Abbott the other day, and he brought up the subject of lowering and panhard rods. He said something along the lines of unless you want very wide tyres or lower the car a LOT, then shortening the panhard rod isn't needed. They used to have adjustsable ones on their race cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers nutcase. I'm only going for 40mm lowering springs which I hope will improve the handling - mind you the worn shocks wont be helping at all ;-)

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
40mm is quite a lot, you may find the rear axle is very slightly offset to one side afterwards.

We had this problem with a Spax spring & damper kit we tried on a 900 many years ago, similar drop in ride height and it meant one tyre was very close to the wheel arch, the other had a half inch gap.

Worst issue with that particular kit (it didn't stay on long) was that the car was riding on the bumpstops most of the time

I presume you plan to replace the worn dampers at the same time? Not a good idea if not...

·
Registered
963 Posts
My 99's dropped 40mm, with 185 tyres. Not heard any rubbing yet. Mind you, the 205 tyres that were on it when I got the car have probably worn most of the contact areas away!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Does anyone know if the Carlsson has a shorter Panhard rod? The sports springs are shorter so you would hope there was a difference if the above is taken into account.

Maybe there isn't as much difference with the rear springs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There isn't that much difference between the sport (293mm) and normal (311mm) rear springs.

Guess if you bought a lowering kit it wouldn't reduce as much at the rear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts