Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just aquired a 9000 lpt 2.0 1998 auto 68k and was wondering if anyone has lowered without changing the shocks and what was the result. I will be changing bushes etc just want it to handle a we bit better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, it works. It made a fair bit of difference to the handling ofmy Aero. However, the Konis made an even larger difference...

Alanb

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Someone wrote an article in the Saab Owners Club maga a couple of years ago, he had just put the Eibach springs on with standard dampers. It was too bouncy & he had to go back & get the uprated shocks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am currently busy doing a comprehensive test on a set of Eibach springs versus some other setups. Without watering down the results of the tests, before putting them on SSc, I can confirm that standard shocks and Eibach springs don't go together.
Hopefully I can conclude my test results over this weekend and then put fingers to keyboard

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I successfully fitted P&I springs to my last 9000CSE with standard shocks, and the difference was very noticable.

I think there are two factors that come into play when changing springs and using standard shocks. The first is how "tired" the old shocks are. Stiffer springs will obviously show up any deficiencies here.

The second is the nature of the springs. Some will have a constant spring rate, others will be progressively wound. For most driving conditions I would expect that progressive springs would be better- certainly the P&Is I had fitted were.

It will of course be model dependent as well- not just between say 900/9-3 and 9000 but also variants within the same model range e.g Aero vs std 9000.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Accepted wisdom with older Saabs (V4s and 99s) was always to go for uprated shocks first, and then go for uprated springs if you wanted more. The principle worked pretty well. As an example, a bbbbbog-standard 99 with turbo Bilsteins made a very good handling car without losing too much comfort. My V4 with S&R forest-spec springs and Bilsteins was bouncy enough on the road (though most of the travel was tyre deformation), it would have been hell with a lesser damper. I kow different cars will respond to different tweaks but this seems to be a general principle that works.

I'm frequently surprised how many people with the newer cars tend to go the other way round, as to me it doesn't make sense. Standard shocks are designed for damping slower frequency, longer amplitude oscillations (sp?) than you're likely to get with a shorter, stiffer spring. Which probably explains the problems people have with Eibach springs becoming very bouncy on standard shocks. My 9-5 on standard suspension would definitely benefit from better damping but I could probably live with the current spring rates, if I could be bothered to do owt to it that is...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Personally, I'd always uprate the dampers first (maybe with new 'standard' springs) - that will give a firmer ride without the bouncy harshness. IMHO.

Regards,
Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts