Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't do it !

I have just got the monster back from its latest gearbox re-build and I asked them to put in the same fd as before..
Bit of confusion and they ended up putting the origonal spec one in...
So I have interstellar gearing now
if I could pull the redline (a possibility ?)top speed would be the far side of 180 !!
but..
It works
Ok its a bit slow taking off in top gear @ 70
but the rest of the gears are grrrrreeeeeaaaatt
where before on reasonablly tight corners where 3 was to low and 4 th was too high ..third is just perfect now
4 th is a real power overtaker gear and third is ballistic and goes all the way to 110 ...

weeeheeee

Other things

Its quiet at cruising on the motorway
I am getting 33 mpg on a run...

The origonal idea was to improve the response because the standard aero feels a little lethargic if you are in the wrong gear Lowering the FD gives a lot more pep
but when you get to 300 + you really do not need it and the standard gearing is great for b road blasting

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
So, with the original fd in, what's your prediction for ET at next years Ultimate Saab Track day at Brunty then....
Better or worse than this years 150 and a bit...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I get the aerodynamics sorted and the front spoiler tied down and new wheels
I reckon 160 +

(up from 155.3)

I would love to have a crack at the fwd record
(about 175 I believe....)

The power characteristics of the engine has been totally changed..

Instead of a very distinct running out of puff @ 5k
it increases alll the way to 6.8 k

so....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
(about 175 I believe....)[/b]
Held by a Fraud fester IIRC ... in which case that record DEFINITELY needs to go. Worth having nitrous injection fitted even if you only ever use it to beat that record.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb]  QUOTE
(about 175 I believe....)[/b]
Held by a Fraud fester IIRC ...[/qb][/b][/quote]175 in a fester.........

You gotta be kindin'...must have had big b**** that's all I can say....

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well, just because we can... I'd disagree

I'm circa 300ish, and more importantly with a smaller turbo, get more torque low down.

I was nervous about going from circa 3.6 to 4.05, but having lived with it I really do prefer it.

I won't deny I miss the blast of being able to take 2nd to over 70 (well actually a recent rev limit change means I still get almost there ) and 3rd to well over 100, but what I really enjoy is the new found flexibility of 3rd- I can pull comfortably without changing gear from 30 to well above the national speed limit. I'm still geared for a technical top speed of 170mph+, which I think is more than enough
. The lower final drive is of benefit with the AP paddle clutch too.

Also, round town, being able to comfortably drop in to 4th around 30 is a bonus. It just feels a more lively car.

But despite beign a 2.3T, my car is different from both ylee's and Bill's. Perhaps the fact that it is MY93 with the lower CR makes a differnce too?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe its the difference in where we drive
the longer drive really excells on the roads up here where before 3 was too low and 4 th was too high...

as they say

horses for courses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts